• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 california special

ggieras

I have a chance to purchase a 68 cal special but dont know much about them, the car is a 289/auto with power steering but currently does not come with any of the fiberglass and other cs options, just the grill,i checked and it is a true cs according to the marti report,the problem is it is severely rotted underneath,all panels needing replacement,what is this worth in current configuration,any help would be appreciated,my knowledge is with 69 stangs,thanks

somethingspecial

Do you have pictures of the car and what is the VIN. Could you send me a copy of the Marti Report so I can add it to the Registry. Thanks

OP
OP
G

ggieras

the gentleman has it,i have not purchased the car,was wondering if it is worth 600 bucks as described,thanks

somethingspecial

When you say all panels need replacing, I assume you mean the Floor. That is not a problem. Reproduction fiberglass for the CS are available as are the hood locks. Does the car have the running gear? If the Grille is original with the Marchal Fog Light brackets, and it is in good/restorable shape, it can be worth as much as $300.00, but again it depends on the shape. Is the interior in the car? if so, I would think $600.00 is a good investment if you can restore the car to street worthy condition. It is good the car is verified with a Marti Report. I hope the car can be salvaged. Please keep us posted if you purchase this car or not. If you could ask the owner for a copy of the Marti Report and take some pictures, I would be intersted in them for the Registry. OH, Welcome to the site. If you are looking for a GT/CS, and you don't get this one, we may be able to help you make an informed decision, like we are doing now.

franklinair

Sounds like a lot of high dollar CS parts are missing, plus the fact that you may be looking at floorpans, frame rails, and torqueboxes. Be careful.

Neil

OP
OP
G

ggieras

Interior ,engine & tranny are all there,needs floors r/h fwd framerail,doors,trunklid and hood are gone,all glass is there,not sure what the things worth in this current state,how rare are these cars,thanks

somethingspecial

I'll leave damage estimates to the Body guys here to chime in on. Franklinair has knowledge in the frame rail/floor/torque box area.

OP
OP
G

ggieras

can do most if it, what is this car realistically worth done restored,is it gonna be more than a regular GT?

Midnight Special

I'll leave damage estimates to the Body guys here to chime in on. Franklinair has knowledge in the frame rail/floor/torque box area.

...I don't know, Mike. 'Seems pretty clear to me you know well of what you speak!
:)

Attachments

• nts.jpg
    nts.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 63
  • nts2.jpg
    nts2.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 58

franklinair

289, A/T, P/S. I'm assuming standard interior, no console. A done car, done RIGHT would be valued between $17K to $22K in today's market & economy IMHO. The question is, can it be done in that price range. If you can do most of the work yourself, I would say its doable. But if you have to contract too much, then its very questionable. A quality paint job with any appreciable body prep will run SEVERAL thousands alone. $600 for basicly a shell is not bad, but be sure to do the math to see if you can restore it to its prime status, and stay within marketable value.

Neil

somethingspecial

Omg!!!

Tim, That picture was taken circa 1983 at my folks place. I was 18 years old and I had just pulled the 390 out and gutted the car. I had GRAND DILLUSSIONS of restoring the car then. Thankfully I fulfilled that dream 24 years later. SEE, You can polish a turd.

dalorzo_f

IMO a GT will pull a bit more than a similar GT/CS...

As a C code, $17-22 seems a bit high, unless its perfect (e.g. investing far more, even doing a lot of the work yourself), saw a few a year or so ago in the 12-16 range in very good condition, can't believe the market is going up under current economic conditions... ???

GT/CS fiberglass and taillights 1.5-2k
paint 2k, supplies alone (consumables - paint, bondo, sandpaper, primer, etc)
engine repairs/rebuild 1-5k
trans $500-1k
rar end - ? new center or ??
rims/tires $500-1k
suspension - 500-1k
interior 1-2k
chrome 2-3k
all the other "little" things 2-5k (brake lines, fuel lines, wiring, glass...amazing how fast it adds up, can go 500-1000 in AMK bolts alone if you go that route)
labor, unless you do "it all" what...$40-70;hr depending on location x a minimum 4 weeks = 160hrs x 40/70= 6-10k...

The the rust.... $$$$$ or a ton of time to DIY sheet metal, maybe 1k for the extent you mention (full floor is $500-ish) (I can't do it so a big cost to me)

It adds up fast and will likely go over 17-22 without even trying...