• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

California Special: Its a 6 cil worth to purchase?

classicsguy

I got a lead on a 1968 GT/CS California Special project car witha 6 cil engine. The car is a documented GT/CS with factory paint,cruise control,deluxe interior and remote mirrors. Has some rust on floorpans but all GT/CS fiberglass parts and Lucas lights are there.
Although not looking for a 6 cil This car seems interesting to restore and its priced very good. I know 6 cil are worth less than V-8's but its a true GT/CS that needs restoration.
Is this car with a 6 cil engine less desirable? Car has original drivetrain with a 3 speed transmission and its Royal maroon with deluxe black interior. Thanks for replies!!

68gt390

I say buy it and drop a small block stroker motor in it. But then again, that's just me. That way you can have your GT/CS and enjoy it until the right CS comes along.

Don :grin:

Mosesatm

It sounds like a car worth buying to me. Cruise control is extremely rare. Six cylinder cars are worth less but the GT/CS is mainly about looks anyway, and with the price of gas going up as it is the value of the sixes should at least keep pace with the V-8s.

If you bought the car what would you do with it? Restore it to concourse and show it? Flip it? Drive it?

Mustanglvr

Does it have convenience control or cruise control? There is a difference.

T Code Bob

I may be biased, but I'd say keep it a 6. Dropping a V8 in it also means upgrading the rest of the drivetrain. And then it's not original.

You didn't say how much they're asking for it. That will make a big difference. It won't matter that much that the sixes are less valuable than the eights if you pay less for the car when you buy it.

Just my $0.02.

admin

Staff member
Administrator
I'd also keep it a 6. I'm also probably biased because my first car was a '68 with a 200 6 cyl, but for me a 6 isn't much different than a 289-2v. I mean obviously they're different, but to me they're not worth much difference in value to the car. Again, that's just me.

If it really has factory cruise control and a deluxe interior I'd say that helps it quite a bit.

still looking for one

If the price is fair, I would buy it and keep it original. In the end, serious buyers ALWAYS would rather have an original, than one customised to the prior owner's taste.

As you described it, I bet a Marti report would show this one as a very very rare example equipped like that. Maroon shows VERY well on these.

Plus with the price of gas, this one sounds equipped for maximum economy, another reason to leave the drivetrain alone.

It sounds like a nice one to me. But everyone here would enjoy some pictures, if you could. Where are you located?

OP
OP
C

classicsguy

Thanks for replies: If I purchase it I would keep it as is ORIGINAL. The owner told me it had cruise control and he owns 2 more GT/CS one of then a S-code 390.
I am ordering the Marti report on the car this week and getting some pictures too. The car is in the US
For those of you who asked the asking price is less than 4K including repair panels.
What I liked about the car is the original paint and options although it needs a complete restoration but the shelby parts are all there. The Royal maroon color is my favorite color with white stripes and Deluxe black interior.Keep the opinions coming in!!!!!

Gatorbait

Personally, I would not restore a 6-banger. I might buy one restored, but it doesn't cost substantially less to restore a 6 than a V8 car, and the restored value is much different. Your return on investment won't be as good.

csgt428

Buy it!!!

That's a great deal if it's all there. My first mustang was a 200 6 car and I had a great time with it plus the mpg was in the high 20's. If you want big block power you can put all the 6cyl stuff aside for restoration later and opt for a stroker 351w with aluminum heads. Almost as light as a 289 and up to 427 cubes...... Grant

Mustanglvr

A T-code GT/CS is`nt just any 6 cylinder Mustang. It is a rare 1 of 3867 limited edition California Special just like the rest of them. 1 of 128 T-codes. There are`nt many T-codes left because people changed them over to V8`s. Mine is one that was changed forever, never to be original again. The not so smart person that changed it over to a 289 4V did`nt bother to keep the original parts. I take offense to anyone that says they`re not worth as much. It should`nt matter! Keep the original parts and it will be worth just as much as the rest of the GT/CS`s some day.

rvrtrash

Not to offend but currently the 6 cyl's aren't worth as much as a small block V-8 which in turn isn't worth as much as a big block. That isn't to say they aren't worth anything and I think $4K is a heck of a deal unless the whole car is completely rusted away. I would give that for a 6 with those options myself. Who knows, when gas hits $5.00 a gallon, the sixes may be worth more.
Steve

HCS@CT

I just restored my HCS 6's motor and bay. It looks great, shure you dont get that thrill when you stomp the gas. But as someone said earlier there's something to be said about keeping the car stock. Wish I had a V8 but I love my six.

PFSlim

HCS@CT said:
I just restored my HCS 6's motor and bay. It looks great, shure you dont get that thrill when you stomp the gas. But as someone said earlier there's something to be said about keeping the car stock. Wish I had a V8 but I love my six.

If you get the time, look at the pictures posted by HCS@CT. His 6 cylinder is very nicely done!!! I believe his pictures are posted in the gallery, just above this thread next to User CP and FAQ.

I would restore a 6 cylinder, no problem if it was a GT/CS.

Paul

nfrntau

My opinion is 6 or 8 wouldn't matter under the right circumstances.

1. One is not concerned with the seat of your pants thrill horsepower gives you.
2. You are restoring the car for yourself to keep yourself. If you have no plans on selling it, resale value shouldn't be an issue.

If the car has the options you want and the color you like go for it. Most people will never know it's a 6 until you open the hood. You'll still get the same thumbs up and the same questions about your car the other members on this site get.

On a side note, when I was in my 20's a friend had a 65 Ranchero with a 6 cylinder, high stall converter and low rear gears. My 69 390 Mach 1 took 2/3 of a quarter to catch him. Those 6's can be quick off the line they just run out of leg at the end of the run.

still looking for one

Gatorbait said:
Personally, I would not restore a 6-banger. I might buy one restored, but it doesn't cost substantially less to restore a 6 than a V8 car, and the restored value is much different. Your return on investment won't be as good.

You are undoubtedly right, from a strictly dollars and cents point of view, but I don't think these cars are often bought just as investments. It's about enjoying them, waxing them up, talking about them, driving them, taking pride in them, having people come and swarm you, as Tim said, when you stop at the gas station.

The whole "Mustang" phenomenon was a heck of a lot more than just about a return on your investment.

The big Mustang club in France is called "Mustang Passion", and I think they picked that name for a good reason..

Mustanglvr

marie68csmustangs said:
I would buy the 6cyl engine! You would have a collectors item.. in the GT/CS :)) If you like the color then shoot, buy the car :))

Marie

Thats the way I think too Marie. No matter what size engine, it is still a rare and desirable California Special.

Mustanglvr

nfrntau said:
See, size really doesn't matter!

You`re right, size does`nt matter, its what you do with it!:rofl:

Then there are people who would say that the only ones that say "size does`nt matter" are the ones who don`t have big ones! :rofl:
:icon_ecst Sorry, I just had too. No insults intended to anyone!:lipsseal: