• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

C6 trans question

John McGilvary

My CS/CJ has a hand witten #2 cast into the top of the transmission bell housing. Can anyone tell me what this means? Do any of your transmissons have numbers located in the same place? Thanks John

P

PNewitt

hey John,

I've been thinking about this one. Do you mean it's like a crayon mark written on it, or it's a "crude" type raised, cast number in the bellhousing? Is there any way you could provide a photo?

I should be talking to some of the original factory employees (Milpitas plant) soon, and I'll ask that question.

It might be that a separate line of 428CJ engines were sitting on the line--and had to be marked to distinguish them from the 390s. Just a guess.

More to follow.

Paul.

OP
OP
J

John McGilvary

Paul, the number looks like someone welded a bead #2 on the top of the bell housing. I'll try to get pic's, but it will not be easy. John

390cs68rcode

I have the same (I am pretty sure it is a 2 or maybe some other code) on my 390 CS. CJ blocks have a raised C on them where the transmission bolts to the block. When they are casting the blocks and other parts they scratch these codes into the molds so they show as raised metal when cast.