• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Brake bleeding issues

Tequila

Hello,
I recently installed the CSRP disc brakes on the front along with their power booster and staying with drum brakes in the back. I also replaced out all the brakes lines, and had the distribution block rebuilt by an experienced person.

First I had a heck of time finding the correct brake lines that went from the master cylinder to the distribution block and several pre-made lines I bought all had the wrong connectors. Reluctantly I made some flares on my own with an auto parts store flaring tool.

I had bench bled the master cylinder before installing it and made sure all the connections were tight, but when i went to bleed the system I noticed brake fluid leaking from the distribution block area. I invested in a nicer flaring tool and replaced couple of the lines but they are still leaking (small amount). Unfortunately the new engine is in the car so there's not much room to see anything.

Knowing I still have to fix the leak, I was thinking some of the brake fluid would come out to the calipers but i couldn't even see a drop there when I opened the valve (pumped several times, both with the valves open & closed).

So, I wondering if the small leak at the distribution block would prevent fluid from going beyond that point where it leaks? I added a rear proportioning valve and I wonder if I am able to close that valve and isolate the fluid flow to the front wheels first to troubleshoot.

I am not ready to give up yet so if anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!!

rvrtrash

First, Brake lines use a double flare. If you used a tool that does a single flare, it won't work right. Second, if you pushed the piston in the distribution block over when you started bleeding, you won't get any fluid to that side. It's a safety feature that closes that line if you have a failure in the system so that you don't lose all braking. A vacuum bleeder is the best way to prime and bleed the system.

Steve

OP
OP
T

Tequila

Thanks Steve. I am using double flares. Safety feature makes sense. thank you!!

The first leak I noticed is from the brake master cylinder to the distribution block (top front). Does that mean I will be see brake fluid coming to the rear wheels?

I was reluctant to buy the vacuum bleeder, but I guess I will.

dalorzo_f

I've used the NPD sets on 4 cars, never a problem... minor tweaks to align a few, but all fit up and well and installed within a few minutes... bleeding excluded.

OP
OP
T

Tequila

Interesting... For some reason the connector to the CSRP master cylinder is different than the other master cylinders. I checked it against the original one that came with car as well as another repro unit that I bought prior to getting the CSRP setup.