• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. BOSS 429 engine

orangegrower

I am making this post to try to find the original engine from my BOSS 429 Mustang. I know it is a long shot and a needle in a hay stack but here are the facts. I believe this engine was installed in a 68 CS with the inner fenders and shock towers severely hacked. This car was a serious player in the street racing scene in the mid 80's in the south bay area of San Francisco. It was wickedly fast. The engine was sold to the CS owner by a gentleman named Fred Jones. Fred Jones was a serious player also who owned 2 427 Thunderbolt cars. Any information that you could provide me would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Last edited:

rvrtrash

The VIN would be helpful. Also, the Boss 302 registry site has a section for Boss 429's. They might have someone that's run across it.

Steve

OP
OP
O

orangegrower

I Googled 429 GT/CS and came up with this car.
http://www.musclecarszone.com/1968-ford-mustang-gtcs-california-special-7-0-v8-429-cubic-inch/

I also know of an engine in Oregon that is supposedly from a Boss 429. The guy had it in his boat for years. He also has a 1968 Candyapple Red 428 CJ coupe.

Thanks,
An old friend of mine Paul Newett sent me that link. He never opens the hood. I suspect that it is not a BOSS motor. If it was a BOSS 9 motor the first thing he would do is open the hood. This is going to be a tough nut to crack but worth the try.

robert campbell

Arlie,
The car in the video is more than likely a "wedge head" or standard 429 engine without the Boss heads that made them unique. I never saw the hood up, but the Boss 429 is a whole different animal than a wedge head 429 from the same era. Although most wedge heads had way more performance in stock configuration than a Boss 429.

Rob