• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Blue & Yellow License Plate Questions

platnumheart666

We are waiting for our Elite Marti on our ride to confirm original sale date but we do have a couple questions.

- We may not have an original owners manual but supposedly it had an oil change a month after production with 11K miles! Demo maybe?

-What we believe to be the original plates are early Blue and Yellows! I know the 3 digit, 3 letter ones are 69-72, but I wonder if they were starting to release them late in 68 (our production date is June 20th, 1968) or ours did not sell till 69?

-Can anyone decipher when these plate may of been first issued? We really want to know if original plates

-Anyway to find out who was the original owner?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Frank & Annie

Cool Manchu

According to the DMV in CA...

1970 is the year the basic plate was changed to a blue background with yellow characters. It was also the last year any black/yellow plates were issued.

OP
OP
platnumheart666

platnumheart666

According to the DMV in CA...

1970 is the year the basic plate was changed to a blue background with yellow characters. It was also the last year any black/yellow plates were issued.

I just found out there were some early released ones (Aluminum -rare) and from what I see OCT 6th 1969 seems to be the release date. I need to go home tonight and see if they are the rare aluminum ones since they are very early sequenced starting with 190

CougarCJ

You would need to look at the letter sequence for date placement.

AAA likely first then AAB after the first 1000.

dalorzo_f

Plates would have been stamped in batches and distributed across all DMV's. So at the same time, very different numbers would be handed out, depending on location.

AAA 101 could have been in LA and at the same time DDD 999 was being handed out in Weed.... a general timeline may be able to be deduced, but as with VINs I am not sure its sequential enough to really nail down any firm dates.

FWIW my Fremont sold GTCS was first sold on 10/31/68 per California registration slips (Marti notes 10/29/68) and has XZU 099 black plates. Noted on registration slips I have dating back to '71. If sold and reregistered I believe new plates would have been provided.

A holdover first sold in '69, which your Marti should note, could be original blue/yellows. If original one would expect a very low sequence number, which you do not note... if RSU 786 less likely to be original than BRE 132

OP
OP
platnumheart666

platnumheart666

The car was sold to the previous owner in 1979 by the original owner. The plates I have were only made from OCT 1969-1972 (3 #s followed by 3 letters Blue/Yellow). I guess step one would be to wait for the Marti to see when first sold.