• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Black Sunday !!!

John McGilvary

I am so pissed that I have to tell you guys what happened last sunday at about 4:30pm.

Two teenage kids got some pipes and decided to trash the history my friend and I have tried to save for years, by busting out windows, jumping on hoods, smashing headlights, ect. Some of the damage includes;

2- 56 ford 2dr waggons.
2- Mustangs-65&66
3- Ford PU trucks-52, 53, 54.
Futura, Falcon
65&66 Galixies
The list goes on and on.

The cops said about 10K damage, they could not do much because they figured it was under age kids that done it.

Are under age kids untouchable now days?

I just had to vent and see your comments.

John

Midnight Special

Sue their parents for the damages.

...Arlie's correct, but you must prove they did it. Do the cops know who? Was there a report??

$10K damage seems well worthy of an investigation for felony vandalism. Keep bugging the police for updates and resolve and don't let them write it off as "just kids thrashing old junkers".

Last edited:

rvrtrash

I bet the cops would've been interested if it was police cars they were destroying. I agree, if you have proof of who did it, sue the parents. They are responsible for the actions of their children. I would also push the prosecutor to bring charges. Was any of it insured? I bet the insurance company could bring some leverage to bear. It's things like this that make me carry coverage even on my projects.

Steve

case12

kids do stupid things without realizing it. i did. my kids have done it.

the right thing to do is for the parent to make it right until you are happy - whatever "right" means based on the intentions of the kids.

one of my kids tried to cut down a 100 year old oak tree in the woods of a vacant lot to make a canoe (I didnt say he was the smart one in the family). the owner found it half cut and was mad as heck - how do you replace a 100 year old tree? so, i asked the owner what my son could do to make up for it, and that it was clear that he had done something just plain stupid. we agreed and my son had to go to the library and local arbor (sp?) guy and get help on dressing the tree to see if it would live. whether the tree lived or died the owner was satisfied that my son paid his debt for his stupidity and appreciated my taking every step i could.

if the parents dont do something, then the legal route will be required. either way, some things cant be brought back.

talk to the parents through the police would be my advice, but also try to discern the kids' intent (was it criminal or stupidity) and make sure they have a part in being responsible for their actions. It sounds like a lot of work - but kids, and their parents, need to learn to be responsible - even for stupid stuff.

respectfully - casey

OP
OP
J

John McGilvary

...Arlie's correct, but you must prove they did it. Do the cops know who? Was there a report??

$10K damage seems well worthy of an investigation for felony vandalism. Keep bugging the police for updates and resolve and don't let them write it off as "just kids thrashing old junkers".

Hey Tim,

The cops don't know for sure who they are but have a good idea, and a report was made. I have lived here in this small town since 63, and I am sure that sooner or later one of my friends will find out who is responsible and tell me. I hope it isn't one of my friends kids, cause they will have to pay the price, of shame and $$. You can't replace original glass and many other things on these cars.

Joe,

I know what you mean, and if and when I do meet up with these brave boys, I hope they don't threaten to do this old man any bodily harm or I'll just have to protect myself.

Ya know, back when I was a teenager, and done something stupid, I would rather face the cops than face my Dad. Teenagers need accountability.

John

PS-Don't worry my CS is locked away safe and sound. :wink:

OP
OP
J

John McGilvary

I bet the cops would've been interested if it was police cars they were destroying. I agree, if you have proof of who did it, sue the parents. They are responsible for the actions of their children. I would also push the prosecutor to bring charges. Was any of it insured? I bet the insurance company could bring some leverage to bear. It's things like this that make me carry coverage even on my projects.

Steve

Steve

No insurance, like a dummy I didn't think something like this could happen in my little town. Besides, it isn't the mony part its, how do you replace an original windshield on a 66 Mustang?
I would have felt much better about this whole situation if the kids had have stolen parts to fix up a Mustang.

Casy,

Sounds like you are being what all fathers should be, A GOOD RESPONSIBLE ONE. I am sure your kids will thank you when they are older.

John

chewyz_me

I"m so sorry to hear about the damages, especially the irreplaceable parts. I dont understand peoples motives for destruction, especially of those things are important to others.

On the subject of the perpetrators' consequence, not all minors are tried as juveniles. First of all, the legal age of a minor varies between states (southern states have lower ages and better chances of being tried as an adult) but all states as far as I know minors can be tried as adults depending on the case. Acts of violence and destruction are usually grounds.

Somehow i'm sure those same kids would say they're adult and mature enough to drink, gamble, or have any age required privilege - but most likely will play ignorant adolescent if taken to court :-/ they parents will have to bear their kids' actions no matter which route is taken, but in my opinion the offender are more responible to pay the toll, not their parents (granted they are considered 'adults')

I just don't like the fact that a large handful of teenagers know they get a whole new record when they 'become an adult' and they try and abuse the fact.

Best of luck with repairs and catching those who responsible, its sad to see history like that damaged...

-Mike

wally05

Yep, if charges don't stick, but there is enough evidence to be "preponderance of evidence" that they POSSIBLY did it, you have a civil case you could use to get damages repaid. The burden of proof isn't as strict in civil cases. If you find out, talk to the parents, if they are just as dumb as the kids are, threaten litigation. I would have no problem going after someone that did that to my stuff. :)

OP
OP
J

John McGilvary

Thanks for the comments, I just had to vent.

Our plans have now changed for some of the " Black Sunday Cars ".
Instead of trying to save the baddly dammaged cars, we are going to part some out and this encludes the 65 and 66 Mustang coups. Maybe the parts will help someone else save a piece of Mustang history.

My Mustang friends are all totally pissed about what happened as I am, but the dammage is done. Its time for me to move on, keeping a close eye on my CS, just like I have for all these years. :scared: :mad:

John

Diesel Donna

Oh John I feel bad for you.
I have been looking for a house to buy and I had the hardest time convincing the real estate agent that the garage was more important to me than the house! I can park my Mustang in any garage but my ambulance needs an 8 foot clearance and it is 21 feet long. Too big for a standard garage. This ambulance is only ONE of TWENTY made like this particular car. The glass is priceless! And I know how tempting all those windows are to teenagers. I finally had to drive the car and show the agent ...she finally "got it".

I am confident in your small town that the punks will be found. They will pay dearly.

~~~~Donna

somethingspecial

Donna, have you ever seen the movie "Mother, Jugs, and Speed"? Every time I picture you behind the wheel of the ambulance, I think of the scene in that movie where Jugs "Rochel Welch" took off in an ambulance like yours.

If anyone ever defiled any car of mine, St. Peter would be presiding over any hearings after they were apprehended. Oops, that was out loud. LOL.

Mosesatm

In my business we have ways of.............

Uh, never mind.

OP
OP
J

John McGilvary

Like they say, " What goes around, comes around ".

People in my town are pissed, no telling what will happen when the kids are caught. Didn't realize so many people care that much about a bunch of old cars, but they do.

John

Diesel Donna

Donna, have you ever seen the movie "Mother, Jugs, and Speed"? Every time I picture you behind the wheel of the ambulance, I think of the scene in that movie where Jugs "Rochel Welch" took off in an ambulance like yours.

If anyone ever defiled any car of mine, St. Peter would be presiding over any hearings after they were apprehended. Oops, that was out loud. LOL.

Yes Mike I remember that one and I recently bought the DVD...too funny! In the original Gone in 60 Seconds during the forty minute chase scene there is a really good long shot of a car very much like mine screaming towards the viewers and sliding around a turn.

somethingspecial

Donna, The original "Gone" is one of my favorites, and I watched it the other day and I noted the "Goodhew" ambulance when it arrived. Do you have a copy of the original "Gone"?

John, I hope your community finds the punks and dispenses the appropriate justice!!!!!

Mike

Diesel Donna

Donna, The original "Gone" is one of my favorites, and I watched it the other day and I noted the "Goodhew" ambulance when it arrived. Do you have a copy of the original "Gone"?

John, I hope your community finds the punks and dispenses the appropriate justice!!!!!

Mike

Yes Mike I sure do!

John, keep us posted or do we have to come over there and handle it ourselves? Feels like someone has hurt my family ya know?