• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Battery dead, any suggestions for a new one?

Sarge

Ok, so after owning my GT/CS for 12 years, my battery is dead. But it did last at least 12 years, so I can't complain. Anyone know of a good replacement make of battery, and where to get one?

Thanks,

Robert

BigJim

Are you looking for a period correct battery or just a good battery?

OP
OP
Sarge

Sarge

Just a good battery would be best. I am having a tough time with the folks at Ford narrowing down what kind of battery it needs. I have a 302, J Code, if that helps.

Thanks,

Robert

stangfan

What I have done with mine is to get a Topper, which looks like an orignal Autolite battery top, and put a high-crank, no maintenance modern battery under it. Looks (almost) correct, and is fuss free. :grin:

teamlo

What I have done with mine is to get a Topper, which looks like an orignal Autolite battery top, and put a high-crank, no maintenance modern battery under it. Looks (almost) correct, and is fuss free. :grin:

I went in to the Honda Automobile dealer about 2.5 years ago and asked for a Honda Odyssey (van) battery. I can't remember the exact model # of battery. I took it home, peeled off the Honda sticker and put an Autolite topper on it. It looks great! I live in northern New England and store my car in an unheated garage from November to April. I never unhook the battery and don't trickle charge it over the winter. I go out in the spring, pump the gas a few times and it starts right up. Whatever battery Honda is using, they work great!

Terry

Ruppstang

You car may have come with a group 22F if it has the short tray or it may have had the optional group 24F. Many have been changed to 24F to get the extra cranking power.
Marty

green56

Battery replaced

My car battery just went out this past April I went to the Ford Dealership and pick up a Ford battery and it fits good in the battery tray

stangfan

Ford batteries are great! I put one in my 7-Up Car and it's almost 13 years old now. :cool: It's only just starting to give signs that it might be time for a new one.

OP
OP
Sarge

Sarge

Thanks all, I went with a Group 24F battery. We'll see how this one works.

On a slightly different note, I noticed that the battery tray, and the inside of the fender where the battery sits both have some rusting and some paint peeled. I plan on cleaning with Baking Soda and drying well. Question: Should I be painting these areas with some paint, or rustproof/rust-resistant paint as part of a preventative measure???

Appreciate the help and suggestions!!!

Robert

green56

Battery dead

Clean the side and the tray look down at the rail might be some battery acid clean good leave it dry a couple of days spray or paint with a rust paint let dry then put the black paint on it should hold up for a while Tom