• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Backup light switch location

Tequila

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could tell me where the backup light switch is located on GT/CS. Is it by any chance incorporated into the tail light harness? Attached are couple of pictures of the replacement unit I purchased but can't seem to locate where it is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
RT

Attachments

• backup light 68 Mustang2.jpg
    backup light 68 Mustang2.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 18
  • backup light 68 Mustang.jpeg
    backup light 68 Mustang.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 21

dalorzo_f

It mounts to the rear of the transmission, on or near the shift linkages. The shifter actuates it when in reverse....

I forget where it plugs into the harness, was quite a while ago when I put one on my S GT 4 speed...

somethingspecial

Rejy, Isn't your car an automatic transmission? If so, what you have looks to be a standard Transmission back up light switch. An automatic trans uses a neutral safety switch, which has the back up light circuit built in. It plugs into the square 4 pin pigtail on the firewall just above the bell housing about center of the firewall.

OP
OP
T

Tequila

Thanks Mike. I totally spaced out bought the wrong one... you are correct. I have a C4 and originally thought they were all the same. I've had it for over an year when I knew very little about the Mustangs... althought the label "4 speed" should have been a clue.... bummer.

dalorzo_f

yes... the "4 speed" on the tag led me to believe you had a top loader... glad I'm not the only one who does stuff like that.

Good thing for you is it cheap postage to return for me those go on the shelf in the "maybe I can sell it" pile.... :wink: