• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Autolite Battery

di81977

Has anyone had any luck finding repo autolite batteries lately. I am looking for a Group 24 sealed one. The main manufacturer has gone out of business. They were selling for about $150. There is a guy in Ohio that makes them, but he sells them for closer to $250.

Also, I am seeing two different types of export braces in the Gallery pictures. One that is two pieces and one that is a single piece. Which is correct?

Thanks
David

Last edited:

GTCSMustang

David,

I have bought two sealed ones from Antique Auto Battery in Ohio. Phone number is (330) 425-2395. They are the only ones making them. In April I paid $230 for one. The 2-piece export brace is correct for all 1968 Mustangs. Shelbys had the single-piece export brace.

Scott

BroadwayBlue

I saw an ad earlier this morning in the Mustang Times magazine. I don't have it with me now but I'll check later.

If someone else has it can you post the ad info?
Thanks!

p51

GTCSMustang said:
...The 2-piece export brace is correct for all 1968 Mustangs. Shelbys had the single-piece export brace...
The single piece (my understanding is that its only the single piece version that is called the "export brace") also helps with the structural integrity of the car (less flexing, etc than with the two pieces). I had one added at the local shop that works on classic stangs. I asked if adding a monte carlo bar would also help. The answer was yes but "you get ~80% of the benefit from the export brace alone". The link below discusses both the export brace and monte carlo bar....

http://www.fly-ford.com/MM0105-How_To_Install_an_Export_Brace_and_a_Monte_Carlo_Bar.html

GTCSMustang

You are probably right. I'm not sure what the 2-piece version is called.

OP
OP
di81977

di81977

I appreciate the responses. Sole source, controls the supply and price!

Does everyone use a sealed battery? Seems like good protection.

I have always thought the part that braces the shock towers against the firewall is called an export brace and the bar that bolts between the two shock towers as the monte carlo bar.

david

Mosesatm

di81977 said:
I appreciate the responses.
I have always thought the part that braces the shock towers against the firewall is called an export brace and the bar that bolts between the two shock towers as the monte carlo bar.

david
That is correct

Last edited:

rvrtrash

A guy at a car show I went to today (no wins) told me he got one from "Restoration Battery" in Ohio. They don't have a full website up but they do list an email for you to contact them.
Steve

BroadwayBlue

Sorry, I haven't been online in a few days.

The ad in Mustang Times was NPD. I thought it was another company but that's the only one I see.

Still might have them in stock if you haven't tried them. Around $189 I think.

OP
OP
di81977

di81977

For what it is worth, I spoke with someone at NPD today and they said that the one of the reason the company went out of business was that they had problems with the batteries not holding a charge and that the more expensive batteries are higher quality.

RedGTvert

di81977 said:
For what it is worth, I spoke with someone at NPD today and they said that the one of the reason the company went out of business was that they had problems with the batteries not holding a charge and that the more expensive batteries are higher quality.

Funny, they told me a whole different story. They told me the company they bought them from (they also told me there is only one company that make them and everyone buys from the same company, no matter what) had a fight with thier supplier of the molded cases and refused to sell them any longer, and this battery company could not find anyone else to make them and closed up thier doors.

Sounds rather unlikely. They can't be that tough to have made if this was the case.

I have always bought mine from Restoration Batteries. Very nice people to do business with, and my understanding is they make their own.

390cs68rcode

di81977 said:

I know for sure the company that went out of business was having problems with their batteries. I had 3 of them and one went bad after 3 months (after they closed). I do have one from the other company, no problems so far. All are the non sealed fill them up yourself variety.

somethingspecial

Which is correct for the 390GT

I know nothing about batteries, so which is concourse correct for the GT390 cars, Group 24, or group 27? Mike