• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Ammeter

rvrtrash

I went out to start my car because the snow is gone enough for me to open my gate to the back yard. Started the car and smoked the ammeter. I mean literally! Smoke pouring out, filled the car, I'm scrambling to unhook the battery. :eek: Anyway, the wiring is fine, it's just the gauge itself, so does anyone know a really good place that rebuilds them or a flawless reproduction? Maybe someone has a really nice spare laying around they don't want anymore?

Steve (Say, does anyone smell smoke? :cheesy: )

robert campbell

let me dig. used to have an instument cluster or two.

Now how pretty...... But it will be free if I find it.

Rob

OP
OP
rvrtrash

rvrtrash

Thanks Rob. Not content to just figure the meter was bad, I started doing some digging. It seems I have a problem in the harness somewhere and more current was flowing through the meter than was supposed to. I have 13 ohms of resistance between the alternator and the starter solenoid and there shouldn't be any, so I get to start peeling back the wrap and trying to find where it's at. Sure glad I'm not paying someone $60.00 an hour to do it.

Steve

OP
OP
rvrtrash

rvrtrash

I found "the big black wire" (main power) broken under the battery tray, so all the alternator current was going through the gauge back up to the solenoid. That's fixed now so I'm feeling much better.

Steve

robert campbell

Steve,
Glad you found the problem! And not at 60 bucks an hour!!

Here is a pic of a 67 ampmeter I have. Free! Needle is a bit rough, but it used to work a few years ago. Been in dry storage. Want me to mail it your way? Maybe you can build one out of two if the fire was not to extensive to the the guage.

My worst nightmare. Electrical fires in my classics!

Rob

DSCN3163.jpg

OP
OP
rvrtrash

rvrtrash

I appreciate the offer. PM sent. I've heard the needles can be painted so I'll look into that. My gauge looks perfect, I'm just afraid to use it. There wasn't an actual fire but all the magic smoke escaped from it and it smells funny now. :grin:

Steve