• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Air Shocks

murf104

You guys are correct about the size of the wheel and the size of the tire having an effect on the measurement from the ground to the highest point on the fender lip. I was really interested in the difference in the height of the front and rear. If we want to be precise and compare the static height of our cars then we should measure the distance from the CENTER of the wheel to the center point of the fender lip. I am curious how our cars compare to each other, and if the GT option changed this measurement (as it does on the 65 66 cars) or if the distance remains the same regardless of the suspension option. Difficult to take this measurement since the center of the wheel is not always easy to determine.

OP
OP
case12

case12

What do you guys think of coil over rear shocks to increase the rear height? This is what my mechanic suggests after looking at my car.... Casey

P

PNewitt

Casey--

I think that you're onto something important for folks that want both proper ride height, and added control for the rear suspension. Especially for Mustangs with more horsepower.

I found a few sites, but they want to sell you a whole IRS type setup. What we need here is a specific, adjustable coil-over shock for the rear of a '68 Mustang....and at a reasonable cost. I think either TCI or Mustangs Plus would have something.

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techarticles/mump_0705_mustang_suspension_restomod_guide/index.html

http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/rear_systems.html

http://www.nzmustang.com/Newintoold/newintoold.htm
(this one is well worth a look at)

If someone out there who also does street rods (Two Rings?) could find out for us a specific part numbered rear coil-over shock that is adjustable--that would bolt right in--it would really help a lot of owners.

I'm not too sure about the "air ride" setup, only that it's expensive.

Perhaps someone could look around and find a brand and part number, etc..not only for Casey, but for all of us.

thanks!

Paul N.

OP
OP
case12

case12

OK - I finally made a change and it worked. I went with coil-over Monroe shocks in the back. It raised the rear end 1 inch, which is perfect. I still have the driver side sagging by just a bit below 1 inch. From what I have read on other forums, getting one side to match the other is quite difficult, and often due to something in the front coils. So, I may live with the driver side being slightly lower in the rear than the passenger side. Or, I may OCD and try other things :grin: . But the coil-over shocks definitely lifted the rear end just right for me. Casey

HappyHour

Casey can you send the link to the Monroe part? I just swapped all my shocks and may try to exchange the rears as I would prefer higher in the back since I just got new leaf in the back as well.

Thanks

Robert

nates68

Coil Overs

ROBERT, KRAGEN,PEP BOYS, AUTO ZONE ALL CARRY THOSE TYPE OF SHOCKS. YOU CAN GO ONLINE ALSO.

GOOD LUCK, NATES68:icon_lol:

68gt390

Casey;
Did you replace the rear leafs? If not replacing those along with your coil overs should get rid of your sag on the drivers side.

Don