• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Air Conditioning Help

robert campbell

Up here in the great NW we do not use much AC.... Now heaters, chokes and windshield wipers are in hot demand!!!

The 1968 Coupe has air. He gave me a new expansion valve to install and also gave me the below bracket. I have no idea where it might go? I have a spot on my lawn mower...... Is it a sno-cone maker or espresso machine bracket.... +1 for knowing the movie the last sentence came from....

CougarCJ

That is a clamp, part of the factory A/C assembly at the firewall (engine side).

Mosesatm

Is it in this photo?

Attachments

• ac1.jpg
    ac1.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 43
OP
OP
R

robert campbell

so I have the valve in place but not tightened. I spun it so the part the bulb connects to is pointing down? The large saucer shape is down This will make it easier to grab the hex part of it to tighten it up to the hoses. It looks like it would clamp around a tube or a hose? It is way big to hold just the bulb???

Or put it on my lawn mower..... I think I need a pic....

somethingspecial

It's a hot water heater bracket. There Rob, I said it, now you know I know what movie you are talking about. LOL Using the Osborn book, which I know has wrong information as the assembly line did things different, I can't find this bracket. It appears to be wide enough for both lines to pass through. Rob, When supporting the two lines to the export braces, make sure they are really secure. This is what caused Joe's wreck. The A/C line broke loose from the export brace and landed on top of the throttle linkage, forcing the throttle WFO, launching him into the loading dock wall.

murf104

That bracket is used to clamp the bulb on the end of the cap. tube to the side of the expansion valve. You will never see one when installed because it is completely covered with cork tape that is wrapped around the expansion valve/orifice on the engine side of the firewall. Be certain to hang onto it since they are probably very hard to locate when/if you need one.

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

I am seeing some of my "corn fusion" now. The factory correct ac lines as the come to the firewall transition into steel tubes similar to a power steering pressure line to the back of the PS pump. The tube is around 1/4 inch diameter and small enough to allow the bulb to clamp to the line. This car has large rubber "universal" lines from the pump to the fire wall. Link below shows the big "gooped" up mess they came from the factory with. Now that I see it I remember it!!!

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=158.0

Rob is going to get handy with a couple plastic tie wraps and give bracket back to owner....

68sunlitgold

Robert,
here are some pictures

Doug

Attachments

• bracket on ac.jpg
    bracket on ac.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 43
  • bracket on ac 2.jpg
    bracket on ac 2.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Wow, best pictures yet!! I used a plastic tie in that exact spot. But I think I could have used his clamp. It will be back another day. Thanks!!!

Rob