• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 adding a vinyl roof

mbsf1970

would adding a new black vinyl roof to an existing cs gt lower its value? It did not initially come with a vinyl roof...the roof was same colour as car. thanks,
Stephen

dalorzo_f

Some hate them, some like them. If it was later being sold as a "correct" car obviously its a hit.

It would be more significant on a rarer engine/option car, if its a "typical" C code or T code IMHO the addition would not affect value. An S or R then it would be a consideration... the middle of the road J code a bit of a toss up based on how correct the car is or will be...

Pretty easily removed and redone if someone really wanted to. I think they look good on the GT/CS...

di81977

I'd take some good pictures of the roof before you put on the vinyl. When I am looking at a car with a vinyl roof, I get nervous about potential rust being hidden. Pictures might help in the future sale process.

green56

vinyl roof

If it was me I would leave it painted I like to see a car all painted but that's me when you wax it gives the over all look of a shining car

franklinair

I like the vinyl tops. I added it to one of mine. Plus, I added the Deluxe interior. And the Shelby wheels. And dual exhaust.

Neil

Attachments

• MEGAFILE 077.jpg
    MEGAFILE 077.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 39
  • MEGAFILE 085.jpg
    MEGAFILE 085.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 39
  • MEGAFILE 048.jpg
    MEGAFILE 048.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 35
  • MEGAFILE 093.jpg
    MEGAFILE 093.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 31

x-codegtcs

I am with Neil - I like the look of the vinyl tops and also agree that there are concerns by many about vinyl tops and rust.

dalorzo_f

The white/black is a great look.. but I am biased!

Going in for paint today, "quick" color only and engine bay detailing. Hopefully back in 6-8 weeks. (and wihtin bugdget!)

On the vinyl roof, done a few and have seen only minor rust. An issue to be looked at just like cowls, trunk rop offs, etc...

One question for folks on the vinyl tops. I am going to remove and repalce mine during paint as ther are two quarter sized areas that look a bit suspect, and the top is scuffed. I have been told original had a seam on the upper area of the A piller. The repro I put on my S code, and the one on the GT/CS do not have this, only the two longer seams down the roof. Is it correct, that the A pillar had a seam?

CougarCJ

I'll chime in too.
If you must add a vinyl top to a non-vinyl top car, please make sure that you use the factory mouldings.
They also make two grades of vinyl top material. The cheap stuff that is commonly sold through most all of the Mustang supply houses.
One of my co-workers just replaced his roof skin on his one owner 1968 Cougar. He went ahead and purchased the premium material from SMS Auto Fabrics.
http://www.smsautofabrics.com/ for the vinyl top. Kind of pricey, ($300 range with Cougar pattern) they send out the material to the pattern maker for the 'A' pillar stitching and seam down the sides of the roof.

Just in installation comment, you will need to remove front and rear glass and all of the upper side window channels and seals.

dalorzo_f

Well, you don't "need" to but it sure comes out looking better...:wink:

How does NPD's "correct" compare, as it has the A pillar seam now, different than what they sod a few years ago. About half the price noted...

teamlo

I like the vinyl tops. I added it to one of mine. Plus, I added the Deluxe interior. And the Shelby wheels. And dual exhaust.

Neil

Neil, you have one of the coolest looking cars ever! I'm thinking about doing something very similar to my '68 GT coupe. Mine is Meadowlark Yellow as well. Love the vinyl top and the 10-spokes!!

Terry

franklinair

I wish I still had that car!! It now lives comfortably in Canada.:smile:

Neil

Northern Pony

Neil;
I saw your old car last week end it is still looking great, and being well taken care of. Still belongs to same buyer.
BoB