• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Active brake ducts on Sara's CS

OP
OP
F

Forsche

The side scoop bolt/stud does not stop the 1/4 window from going all the way down (unless your application's stud is too long and protruding through the solid 1/4 window mechanism). More than likely the duct is acting as the stop if the stud is not too long.

Neil

Thanks, Neil. Can you tell me if the standard CS scoops have this conical part of the scoop that holds the scope to the quarter? Trying to figure out if these are Cs scoops.

Thanks.

clubpro

Steve,

Looking at the photos that you supplied the scoop looks like a 67 Shelby scoop. There is only one company that is reproducing the scoops with the cone for the mounting bolt and they probably weren't in business when your scoops were put on the car. All of the other companies simply epoxy a bolt to the back side of the scoop. The Shelby scoops come with the cone for the mounting bolt. If you have the latest GT/CS book you can see some photos of the 68 Shelby and C.S. scoop on page 107.

I am surprised that you didn't find the build sheet when you removed the back seat. They are usually stuck in between the springs of the seat bottom. Maybe it is under one of the front seats.

Thanks for sharing everything with us!

Cheers,

Ron

dalorzo_f

I am surprised that you didn't find the build sheet when you removed the back seat.

San Jose was very good at removing build sheets. Have never found a build sheet in a '68 San Jose car... still hoping Kevin Marti does them someday...

gt/csj4

I could be wrong here, but that appears to be a 67' type scoop. They are very similar to the 8's but the conical area you have shown does vary, I believe as such because; the 1/4's are slightly different between 67's and 8's (obviously aside from the trident fixtures on the 67...at least from what I have examined side by side, the 8's appear to be less deep than that of the 7's, but again, I could be wrong :confused:)as far as depth to the "c molding" is concerned....not THAT much different however.... but in any respect, noticeable when compared side by side.

Such an interesting car and its modifications done, are so interesting to this car, I love this thread!

Edit: Just read through and looks like Ron already chimed in on my thoughts too haha. It pays to read!

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Forsche

mystery scoops

Steve,

Looking at the photos that you supplied the scoop looks like a 67 Shelby scoop. There is only one company that is reproducing the scoops with the cone for the mounting bolt and they probably weren't in business when your scoops were put on the car. All of the other companies simply epoxy a bolt to the back side of the scoop. The Shelby scoops come with the cone for the mounting bolt. If you have the latest GT/CS book you can see some photos of the 68 Shelby and C.S. scoop on page 107.

I am surprised that you didn't find the build sheet when you removed the back seat. They are usually stuck in between the springs of the seat bottom. Maybe it is under one of the front seats.

Thanks for sharing everything with us!

Ron

Thanks Ron and others for the input. As for the '67 scoop, I've looked at several pics and it looks to me like the '67's did not have the two screw holes on the leading edge of the scoop? I've not been able to find great pics but here is one on a '67 shelby (blue) and also one of a '68 (green). I'll try to look at few more pics but it looks like the '68 may have had the two screws but not the 67?

My pleasure in sharing the learning process. All of you have been a great help!

Cheers,

Attachments

• 134333-5-large.jpg
    134333-5-large.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 37

68sunlitgold

Some pictures of my NOS drivers side scoop. Note, the last picture shows what is called the witness-line.

Doug

Attachments

• DSC00308.JPG
    DSC00308.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC00307.JPG
    DSC00307.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC00309.JPG
    DSC00309.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC00306.JPG
    DSC00306.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
F

Forsche

Some pictures of my NOS drivers side scoop. Note, the last picture shows what is called the witness-line.

Doug

Thanks. These are very helpful. After seeing these I'm more convinced that the scoops on Sara's CS are the standard CS scoops.

OP
OP
F

Forsche

Thanks. These are very helpful. After seeing these I'm more convinced that the scoops on Sara's CS are the standard CS scoops.

Actually, after further thought, I wonder if these are not CS scoops but rather '68 shelby scoops. Am I correct that the '67 shelby scoops did not have the two screw holes on the leading edge of the scoop? To be CS scoops, the fronts would have to have been cut out. I'll try to look/feel more closely but they just don't appear to have been cut out. Clearly could have been sanded down well after cutting but just seems to me that if they went to the trouble of adding the ducting, adding the ram air set-up and painting the taillight panel argent at the dealer, they might have just used '68 shelby ducts since Walter and his mother Mary clearly had a fondness for Shelby items on their car.

OP
OP
F

Forsche

Part numbers on the side scoops

I read in an old thread that the scoops have part numbers on the inside, facing the car. Is this true and if so can they be seen without taking the scoops off? I don't really see any numbers upon first check.

Also checked for a part number inside the hood scoop (which we think is a 1968.5 scoop. Would these typically have a part number?

68sunlitgold

I did not find any numbers on my NOS scoops, have another complete original set and there where no numbers on them either.

Doug

Attachments

• DSC01355.jpg
    DSC01355.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
F

Forsche

I did not find any numbers on my NOS scoops, have another complete original set and there where no numbers on them either.

Doug

Thanks, Doug. That would seem right since I'm guessing ours are the original scoops also but I just wondered after reading about parts numbers in another thread.

Thanks

franklinair

I just conversed with one of my old Mustang cronies, and he has a copy of the salesmen's option reference books for Mustangs. He's mailing me a copy.
Steve's car has a few anomolies not found on small block CS's or HCS's: Hood scoop, Air cooled rear brakes, Heavy duty cooling system (24" radiator on non A/C small block)
The Heavy duty cooling may well have been a factory option. But NOT the hood scoop & air cooled brake/ducting.
The thing about the brake cooling: info I have indicates the system was installed on '67 Shelby's, but not on '68 Shelby's.
I THINK:
The Heavy duty cooling may have been an option.
I THINK:
The original owner had the hood scoop & brake cooling installed after purchasing the car.

Neil

OP
OP
F

Forsche

I just conversed with one of my old Mustang cronies, and he has a copy of the salesmen's option reference books for Mustangs. He's mailing me a copy.
Steve's car has a few anomolies not found on small block CS's or HCS's: Hood scoop, Air cooled rear brakes, Heavy duty cooling system (24" radiator on non A/C small block)
The Heavy duty cooling may well have been a factory option. But NOT the hood scoop & air cooled brake/ducting.
The thing about the brake cooling: info I have indicates the system was installed on '67 Shelby's, but not on '68 Shelby's.
I THINK:
The Heavy duty cooling may have been an option.
I THINK:
The original owner had the hood scoop & brake cooling installed after purchasing the car.

Neil

I think you are correct on all counts, Neil. The Extra Cooling package is listed on the Marti so we are clear on that (just have not really confirmed with certainty what was included in the package). As for the active brake ducts and the hood scoop we are also fairly certain that these were added at the dealer. "Nates68" confirmed the scoop as he lives in Carson city and recalled talking to the PO about this in a grocery store parking lot. the PO confirmed that his mother had it added at the dealer. Nate also recalled that they may have had the brake ducts done at the same time. It is all very odd but they were a bit quirky.

Steve