• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Acapulco Blue GT/CS on eBay

BroadwayBlue

I don't think this has been posted yet ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=280108534793&rd=1,1

I look at this car and the asking price and can't help but ask myself ... Do I spend the time/money to restore my CS or do I sell mine and use the money toward something in better shape like this one?

Has anyone gone down this road?

I love my car and what little history I know of it ... fixing up and getting my current CS in shape would be rewarding - even though I wouldn't neccessarily be doing most of the restoration work.

I have no particular connection to the car such as owning the car since day one or it was my first car bought used or it's been in my family or anything like that ...

I'm assuming what I'm trading up to is in decent shape, no rust, etc ...

If I could afford it, I would keep my current, restore that and buy another ... if Tim leaves any for the rest of us :wink:

Seriously though curious to get thoughts on this topic and on the car up for auction as well.
There are some things I'd change on this one ... such as the Script possibly but not at the cost of ruining a decent paint job, fog light mountings and rear panel color for starters ...

Thanks!

Last edited:

Midnight Special

...Dare I say that I was considering this one too?? ;-) "Ponygal" sent me this link earlier today. It does seem as a nice shortcut to a good car for that price as opposed to restoring one as you described BB.

My take on this is:
I had a 390 4-speed while in high school that I was very attached to. I had many dreams of restoring it back then, but was far from being up to the task. I had neither skill, finances or discipline as I'm more of a "preservationist" than a diligent restorer.

Mike "somethingspecial" on the other hand, is a die-hard, detail oriented man with a passion for perfection and steadfast diligence. He maintained the highest possible vision for that same car upon hearing of it 20+ years ago culminating in its immaculate condition today! Thank God he wound up with it instead of me (where it likely would've remained as a "some day I'll"...)

I guess it just boils down to what you really want. Do you take a shortcut and buy one all restored (instant gratification)? ...or do you restore one (probably at higher overall cost) and add it to the inventory for all to admire?
Both types are very necessary - but you must decide where you fit best :)

Last edited:

rvrtrash

There are pros and cons to both methods. You will pay more to restore one than to buy one already done, especially if you don't do most of the work yourself. If the time and money are your only concern, definately buy the already finished one. On the other hand, if you buy one already done, you are getting someone elses' idea of a restoration, and that may not match what you consider a restoration. I wouldn't buy anything like that unless you look the car over very carefully to see what wasn't done correctly or at all. If you buy a "survivor" car, count on putting money into it piecemeal as things break down or wear out.

Steve

68gt390

Rich;
It's pretty much like Tim described. I look at were my CS was when I bought it out of Seattle back in 04. Exterior body and paint had been completed saving me considerable cost. Since I've gotten the car, I've replaced floor pans and front left torque box (done at body shop), engine replacement (professionally done) not to mention the items I've done on my own (suspension, complete interior and dash) and other odds and ends. Even with what I paid for my car and what I've put into it since, I have spent way less then had I bought an actual project type car. Now having said that I also have to say, my car by no means is a concourse or professionaly restored car. It is a driver and if it breaks down I fix what I can handle and if I can't handle it, I leave it to a professional. This particular car you are talking about for the price I think is a super deal based on it's current condition.

Don

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

Thanks Guys! I appreciate the thoughts.

I agree that you get what you get and be careful about.
I would definitely look things over with a fine tooth comb and try to identify the things I would go after right away. Then it's a matter of comparing that against the alternatives.

I'm not looking to go concourse. As I always have said I want something I can drive - take to cruises and shows like I do now. I'm in it for the hobby not the trophies. When they come it's a pleasure but not a disappointment when they don't.

My car is a solid car but it's an older restorations. At some point I'm planning on doing any required body work after stripping it down and then repainting it. I know my floorpans will need replacing they were repaired at some point and the engine is due for a rebuild. The last thing is the interior which is starting to show it's age and will need replacing ...

I will do what I can plus my brother-in-law is a retired mechanic and has assisted me with everything we've done so far - new tilt wheel, replaced all the brakes, suspension, pertronix, rebuilt the starter, etc ... we have some other mechanical things to do like a new ignition switch, clutch, etc ...
These type of things we would tackle. I think the body work and some interior (headliner) I'd leave to a professional.

I've been talking to a few people on this and everyone seems to agree and upgrade to a better condition plus automatic (not for me but the Mrs) PS and PB makes financial sense ... I'd give up the 302 but I could deal with that.

Question on the pics ...
thoughts on the "wrinkles on the door panels" and there looks to be a water stain on the passenger side carpet??

I don't have a registry handy ... can someone check this vin for me?
8R01C151496

68gt390

Rich;
Stains on the passenger side carpet could be one of 2 things. Angle of picture and flash or heater core may have sprung a leak and dumped antifreeze onto the carpet at one point in time.

2. Wrinkles in passenger side door panel: Could be a bad repair job when they tried to stretch the vinyl over the fiber board on the door.

Don

Mosesatm

The wrinkle could also be due to the lower corner clip not being fully seated in the hole causing the corner of the panel to bulge out, or the pressboard corner of the panel may be broken.

In the other door picture it looks like the upper corner clip is pushing hard on the vinyl. Either the clip is not fully inserted in the hole or the vinyl was damaged when someone decided to encourage the clip.

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

I have a message into the seller with a few questions.

Looking at the grill? Does it look original?
I don't see the brackets for the Marchals.

The rear deck lid looks a little out of line and possibly replacement.
Which would explain the argent colored rear panel as a possible replacement.

One more question - what's up with the back of the rear passenger seat? Mine are smooth.

I feel like I'm back to when I first joined the site and was considering my CS. Only the questions have changed from experience.

I did ask for a pic of the inside of the rear panel to see if it's original.

You guys and gals taught me well!! :grin:

68gt390

Rich;
I would also want to check that front left torque box. It's appears in the photo to have a lot of surface rust and hopefully that's all it is. I would still want to make sure it is solid all the way through. When I replaced mine, we initially looked at it and it didn't look that bad until we started tapping it with a small hammer in the middle of the torque box and that's when I punched through it. After that it just went from bad to worse. The car has some issues but, nothing that can't be corrected. Besides, same as with my car I used the items I found wrong to wheel and deal with the seller. That's the name of the game.

Don

hicountrybob

I checked both registries and this car isn't in it.
In tracking our cars, I found this car (8R01C151496) on ebay on 11/9/04 with a Buy it now at $14,500 w/ Marti report bla bla bla. I sent the data to Paul N just after that date. Hope this helps you. Bob Teets here.

CALIF GIRL

California requires true odometer readings every time a car transfers title. However, there is a box to check for mileage exceeds odometer limit. ( or something to that effect). I can't remember the exact wording.

peant3587

There are very few people that restore cars like they are they`re own because most do it for a buck- it`s that simple. I have seen a lot of crappy wiring, bodywork and mechanical work. i also like putting my own touches on a restoration, like a cam or something else. To make the car yours. Anyone can buy a car. Let me go buy a Ford GT and join that club, all i have to do is pay admission. (i can`t afford it, but if i could- i would. so it might not be a good point) Restore it yourself and make it yours. my wife has helped me bleed brakes and steel wool parts.- it makes our cars ours.