• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

A New Pilot!

hookedtrout

Squeak wanted to go hang out at the Idaho Falls airport to watch a few planes land and take off, not all that unusual, we do it when ever we are down that way for the fun. This time however we hit a small vein of gold. There was a B-17 and a B-25 visiting and we got to go out and see them and they even let Squeak get in and take a tour of the two planes. Fun afternoon.

Attachments

• IMG_0281_2_3_tonemapped.jpg
    IMG_0281_2_3_tonemapped.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0285_6_7_tonemapped.jpg
    IMG_0285_6_7_tonemapped.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0288_89_90_tonemapped.jpg
    IMG_0288_89_90_tonemapped.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0301_2_3_tonemapped.jpg
    IMG_0301_2_3_tonemapped.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0304_5_6_tonemappedCrop.jpg
    IMG_0304_5_6_tonemappedCrop.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 34

rvrtrash

All Right! I'm sure if he gets the bug, there are a few here who can get him going in the right direction.

Steve

franklinair

ALLRIGHT!!
B-25's= my favorite WWII A/C. B-17's next. We had the Memphis Belle (the one used in the movie) here at our airport a few years ago.

Neil

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

Way too late for getting the bug, he's full blown sick and has been for a long long time.

franklinair

Bring him to NC. I've got 2 Cessna 172's. He WILL fly the aircraft on his 1st lesson.

Neil

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

Bring him to NC. I've got 2 Cessna 172's. He WILL fly the aircraft on his 1st lesson.

Neil

I told Jace what you said and he said 172's are the sweetest Cessna's, that would be a blast and a memory he'd never soon forget!

p51

p51

where were they from/headed??

Four months after Pearl Harbor the US was losing the war as Japan expanded into the Pacific. FDR decided that an audacious attack on the Japanese mainland (mostly Tokyo) was called for - mainly to increase morale in the US. Since there were no land bases not already in Japanese hands within the bombers' range he had Doolittle load B-25s on the USS Hornet, sail into Japanese controlled waters, and launch the planes off the carrier - which had never been done before. The attack was only a token: 16 bombers which caused little damage. The planes flew onto China and the idea was to land in an area that was still Chinese controlled - there was no way these planes could actually land on the carriers.

The Japanese were completely flummoxed as they knew land-based bombers were out of reach (except possibly from China). So, when asked in a press conference where the planes launched from, FDR as a joke said "Shangri-La" (the fictional city in the Himalayas in the book "Lost Horizon").

Interestingly the idea for the Doolittle raid was to mainly to boost morale. But it likely also had the effect of goading the Japanese to attack Midway - the closest US island to Japan - with the idea of drawing the (few) remaining US carriers into a one-sided battle. Little did the Japanese know that their codes had been broken by the US so the US carriers were ready for them. That, and 5 min of incredible luck on the US side brought the "Miracle at Midway" victory which, really, was one of the main turning points of the war.

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

where were they from/headed??

Wasn't sure if your question was in reference to to the planes we visited so I'll also answer.

These planes were from Arizona somewhere, didn't ask where they were headed. It looks like they travel around and stage at airports and for a small fee $5 you can tour them and take pictures, you can go out and just look from the outside for free. The fees cover maintenance etc. Pretty cool to see, my son was super excited.

sam

My son was out there for an Elk Hunting trip ( still there) and sent me pics of these 2 fantastic warbirds tied down at the airport. Said he also got a glimpse of a Corsair in a hanger.

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

My son was out there for an Elk Hunting trip ( still there) and sent me pics of these 2 fantastic warbirds tied down at the airport. Said he also got a glimpse of a Corsair in a hanger.

Must be archery hunting, how did he do? We been out several times already but it's still pretty early and warm, the elk don't seem to be to active yet.

J.Bart

there's a Corsair in idaho falls???
that's my favorite plane, i had no idea!

Midnight Special

...Here's Cory's B-17 in Grass Valley when it was a firebomber (tanker #17) in 1972. 'Another encounter I had with it at Madera Gathering of Warbirds in 1980 and again, two months ago at nearby Yuba County Airport... We also flew my mom on this same plane before she passed away about 8 years ago.

The last pic is the B-17 used as "Memphis Belle" in the movie when it was "Tanker 78" at Grass Valley during the early '70's....>

Attachments

• IM001880.jpg
    IM001880.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IM001883.jpg
    IM001883.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IM001873 1.jpg
    IM001873 1.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 07.jpg
    07.jpg