• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

A BIG thanks to YOU, the GT/CS Owner & Enthusiast!

68gt390

Redwingrobb said:
Don, you're killing me...okay, what do you have??

Robb;
Here's the plan of attack. A few engine mods - say a 347 stroker kit to start then we'll move to the rear and drop-in a posi -----------. :thumb:

Don :rofl:

Redwingrobb

68gt390 said:
Robb;
Here's the plan of attack. A few engine mods - say a 347 stroker kit to start then we'll move to the rear and drop-in a posi -----------. :thumb:

Don :rofl:

....and after the divorce are you going to adopt me? On a slightly different note, I lost out bigtime last week. A guy here in town sold his 69 Mach I for 8700.00. Daily driver, had it for 25 years. Got there too late. Crap, would have been nice to have both in my stable. Barracuda definitely would have slept with the fishes...Robb

68gt390

Robb;
For $8,700.00 we could get you one heck of a motor. As for the divorce, I'm afraid your on your own. Been through one of those - wasn't one of my happier moments. :icon_dead

Don

Midnight Special

68gt390 said:
Robb;
For $8,700.00 we could get you one heck of a motor. As for the divorce, I'm afraid your on your own. Been through one of those - wasn't one of my happier moments. :icon_dead

Don

Don, I'm sure I could do the research myself, But since I'm here... I'm considering one of those for my 1969 Mach I to replace a 351W bolted to an FMX auto. This car was a daily driver for more than 20 years and needs a total going thru. I don't care so much for concourse as I want to have alot of fun w/ this one. Is this sensible and is it an easy swap?? Below is me when I got this car in 1979 ;-)

Attachments

• yello1.jpg
    yello1.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 34

68gt390

Midnight Special said:
Don, I'm sure I could do the research myself, But since I'm here... I'm considering one of those for my 1969 Mach I to replace a 351W bolted to an FMX auto. This car was a daily driver for more than 20 years and needs a total going thru. I don't care so much for concourse as I want to have alot of fun w/ this one. Is this sensible and is it an easy swap?? Below is me when I got this car in 1979 ;-)

Tim;
It should be a pretty streight up swap. My first question is do you still have the 351 Windsor that was in the car? If you've still got that motor, I'd consider rebuilding it with a stroker kit. If you decide to use a 289 or 302 block and a 347 stroker kit it can be done. Your FMS tranny will bolt up without any problem since the small block windsors all used 6 Transmission bellhousing bolts from 1965 and up. The guy that is helping me with my 428 told me you should use a C6 yoke for the drive shaft though. Motor mounts should be the same since from 1965 to present they both had 7" between each motor mount hole. I've never delt much with the 351 motors but, I've heard their is a big difference between the heads on a windsor and cleveland motor. If you've still got the 351 it would save the time and money of looking for another block and parts for them are fairly easy to find. Any of your speed shops will carry the stroker kit you need for either of the motors. The only problem I see with the 289 or 302 block is a 347 stroker kit is your limit on those motors. With a 351 you've naturally got more room to play with and will definitely get more horse power for basically the same money. As for the heads, you could have them rebuilt, ported and add oversize valves for better breathing. Hope this helps. I may have created a bigger can of worms for you.

Don

Midnight Special

68gt390 said:
Tim;
It should be a pretty streight up swap. My first question is do you still have the 351 Windsor that was in the car? If you've still got the 351 it would save the time and money of looking for another block and parts for them are fairly easy to find. Hope this helps. I may have created a bigger can of worms for you.

Don

Thanks Don! If this is a 'can of worms', then I'll simply toss the x-tras in the pond to attract more fish.

I have two 351Ws. The first is the original 4v that came w/ the car that ran very strong, but wouldn't keep oil pressure after its 192,000 miles. I replaced it with a 2v motor that came from an immaculate '69 Couger convertible that was garaged kept w/ 40,000 miles... A tree flattened the garage and car. That motor still runs very good & could be used, but with every other component needing rework (221,000 miles on body) I want to start fresh.

This is a 'legacy' car that my three kids were raised in which I will keep forever. Like you can imagine - the entire drivetrain is loose, interior shot, electrical more like a multi-filament light bulb and steering like taxiing a taildragger until about 40mph afterwhich it becomes li'l more than 'inertia management'...

I've always loved the broad torque range of the Winsors and have given many a big block a good run even tho stock. If you indeed sell kits for those - I'd love to talk.

rvrtrash

First, Cleveland and Windsor heads are a lot different. The only similarity is that they'll bolt to the same block. Tim, if it were me and I wanted to build something wild, I'd take your Cougar engine, put aluminum heads and a 427 stroker kit in it, and just trick it out. I'd save the original engine in case you want to go back to stock someday. There, this fish rose to the bait.
Steve

68gt390

Tim;
Steve hit the nail on the head. Use the 351 windosr in place of a 289 or 302 block. It gives you more options if you want to stroke it out. As for selling the kits, I don't. Any speed shop should carry the complete kit that is needed. I purchased mine for my 91 LX through Summit Racing. You sure as heck can't stroke a 289 or 302 out to a 427.

Don

Midnight Special

...Thanks Gentlemen! We're going to start disassembly and rust repair within a few weeks. I agree completely re; the original engine, plus I found a complete article on the 427 option. There's alot of work to be done meantime, so I'll be looking for feedback from anyone who has the 351/427.

Thanks again!

68gt390

Tim;
Sounds like your gonna have your hands full for awhile. Good luck with the build. I'm sure once your done you'll have a ton of fun with it. Take lots of pictures so you can post them.

Don

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

It looks like Jon (webmaster) might consider making 3 separate "stickies" dedicated to each engine group--for 3 separate discussions:
6 cylinder,
289/302,
390/428.

This way, owners can learn about their (stock) engine, and the mods possible.

Otherwise, the engine talk is scattered all over many different threads.

Just an idea...

thanks, Paul N.

rvrtrash

I don't mind having it all lumped together. I like seeing what everyone is doing without having to go into a different area.
Steve