• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

'94 Mustang GT AOD-E (transmission) problems

P

PNewitt

I just bought a new driver car--a '94 Mustang GT, with the 5.0, and an AOD-E automatic transmission. The car has 156K miles, and the AOD-E has about 56K miles on a Ford Dealer (spec'd) warranty rebuild. (final drive: 3.25:1, O/D is about 2.80:1). I know the previous owner, and she drove this car "easy", with no street racing, abuse, etc...

I'm having an annoying problem with the shifting. When I'm on the freeway, going 65 or so, and have to quickly accellerate, and downshift to third (1:1), it sometimes slips, and the tach revs to about 3500, so I have to back off. I'd think it was the clutch pack (I read that they are weak on this year's AOD), but when I kill the O/D with the button, the first three gears do not slip, no matter how hard I am on it. In fact, things are pretty normal if the O/D is turned off, in town or anywhere else.

With 40K on the old fluid, I had the fluid and filter changed, and it doesn't act wierd anymore (bucking at 35-45mph in town). The service guy couldn't find if and where the plate & plug is to drain the torque converter, so only about 1/3rd of the old fluid was changed. Is there access to the torque converter (and access plate?) for a fluid change on this transmission?

When I start out, sometimes, I get this little "klunk" the first time I come to a stop. It's either a slick disc brake thing, or the trans is having a little problem getting back into neutral when I stop.

My Haynes auto manual talks about adjusting the shifter linkage, and a device called the "Throttle Valve Cable", which is either the throttle cable, and/or the linkage to tie the engine speed with letting the transmission know when to shift (or downshift). Right now, it's acting like it doesn't get the message quite yet that I'm accellerating. It's lagging. However, when I'm driving with the cruise control on, it seems pretty normal (which makes me believe that this is an electronic shifting thing).

So, I guess my questions are:

1. Since the old Torque Converter (40K) fluid wasn't changed (or that part of it), could this lead to hesitant shifting?

2. What about the adjustment of the throttle valve cable? Would that make the shifts more positive from the start?

3. Is there an electronic module that could be making this act like it is? What is it called, and where does it go?

4. What else, besides a bad clutch pack, could cause it to "slip" (or not downshift) to third from O/D while going at speed on the freeway?

I appreciate any ideas or comments about a similar situation with the '94 AOD-E.

thanks!

Paul N.

rvrtrash

Paul, I can't speak to your specific transmission but would like to suggest something for you to check into further on. On the "older" tranny's there are seperate bands for 1st/Reverse and 2nd/3rd. The tranny may work fine accelerating in first but slip in second and third because that band is loose. Something similar may be going on in your transmission. I think I'd bite the bullet and take it to Ford or a reputable transmission shop and get an estimate from them.

Steve

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Thanks, Steve,

Good ideas. I was trying to second-guess the problem. I have a local shop that is very good about charging only for what they fix--as opposed to wanting to sell you a whole transmission.

The owner said he learned to drive in a '68 Shelby GT-500, too.

(so; he's cool!)

thanks again,

Paul.

Mustanger

Paul,

I have a similar trans in my '95, but it's been "beefed up" (it's an Art Carr trans based on the AODE) ... I've had it rebuilt already, and it was updated with some heavy duty parts that Ford redesigned, but I never experienced shifting problems like the ones you stated. With the rebuild, the shop (a good reputable one) also replaced all of the "electronics" while making it a little more expensive, it also extended the warranty to the next owner ( I'm trying to sell my car: http://ww2.collectorcartraderonline...traderonline.com/ad-cache/10/1/8/86449718.htm ) ...

patty.dilabio

aode info

Hi Paul !!
Thought id give my 2 cents worth on your transmission concerns.Ford has several bulletins on shudder,and the best advice is to see a good local dealer for proper repair/maintanence of this trans.If the tv isnt set properly the trans will destroy itself rapidly..Richard had lots of fun with one.he is also on line --rdilabio@cox.net he may be able to let you know who to get hooked up with,or maybe the prior rebuilder would still offer some warranty?We are really lucky to have an excellent trans tech in our shop,and in our neighborhood.Look up lentech automatics--he is the man for aods,and can build anything you want.Good luck,And dont wait too long..
Regards Ants..