• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

'68 Convert Project

franklinair

Here' photos of my '68 convert project, engine compartment: old engine, new engine, after extensive cleaning, repair & detailoing.

Neil

Last edited:
OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

I'm having fun with this car. Ron (clubpro) helped me with a LOT of stuff for this project and I owe him a heap of thanks.
Luis- no swap deal! The engine you got should be an easy o'haul.
Amy- this is what I would have loved to do for your C/S.
Thanks to all for the nice compliments. I wasn't fishing for that, but it's nice to read.
Aside from the fresh O'hauled engine (Advance Auto Parts), new water pump, fuel pump, Edelbrock 500 CFM carb, Edelbrock 4BBL Performer Intake, Pertronics solid state ignition & coil, 3 row radiator, ALL new hoses (fuel, water, P/S, brakes), ALL new rigid lines (trans cooling, brakes, fuel). All new suspension (control arms, ball joints, KYB shocks, strut rods & bushings, brakes & drums). New dual exhaust system.
Then I'll be putting in a new Deluxe Interior, along with the Tach that mounts where the clock would have been.
I've already cleaned & detailed the belly of the car (jeez, I hate that job!). The paint & top are in good shape, but I'll have to have a new rear plastic window installed.
It won't be an MCA concourse car when I'm done, but it will be close, and a heckuva driver!!
Fun, Fun, Fun. When I get this one done, I'll do the repair on my C/S, and have them both ready for springtime

Neil:icon_ecst

aemoo28

Look for a covered trailer on your landing strip with an old black CS with a crate beside it full of engine parts.

All kidding aside, that "after" picture is going up on my garage wall to keep the inspiration going.

Mustanglvr

Beautiful! I appreciate a nicely done engine compartment! I will keep the picture for inspiration also.

PFSlim

Very nice. I am looking forward to getting my new 390 for my cobra build and having a nice shiny engine to play with!! Looks great!!

Paul

clubpro

Neil,

Great looking engine compartment!!! Look forward to seeing the rest of the car as it is completed. Thanks for the credit on helping with some parts. Sorry that I couldn't help you with the fender. I almost took the fender off of my project to send to you. Let me know if you need anything else.

Cheers,

Ron

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Fired it up for the first time today. I had set the engine to #1 TDC, eyeballed the distributor to #1, 0 degrees. After cranking to get the fuel to the carb, off she went!! Choke idle is a little high, but I'll tweak it down. All is well in the Smoky Mountains tonite!!

I'm seeing nasty weather reports all over the country. Those of you affected - take care & stay warm. It'll be down to 12 here tonite, but no precip.

Neil

Midnight Special

Fired it up for the first time today. I had set the engine to #1 TDC, eyeballed the distributor to #1, 0 degrees. After cranking to get the fuel to the carb, off she went!! Choke idle is a little high, but I'll tweak it down. All is well in the Smoky Mountains tonite!!

I'm seeing nasty weather reports all over the country. Those of you affected - take care & stay warm. It'll be down to 12 here tonite, but no precip.

Neil

...That's a nice feeling indeed Neil. We recently had like fortune with our swap in my son's '68 (after we figured out the Petronix magnet was mounted in the wrong place on the distributor) We also had a little trouble with low idle, but a new kit in the Autolite 2100 solved that. She's purring nicely now as is function of the new C4, but waiting for correct paint and a few items to re-do the interior. Weather here sucks too. I was just in time w/ putting everything away before 8" snow and freezing. I enjoyed a "needed fix" yesterday by driving my '67 (sno-clone) to town yesterday between storms. The rear-view glass popped out of the mirror housing while on the highway tho, presumably from freezing, so I'll need to replace that...