• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

'67 GTA on eBay

still looking for one

That's an attractive color combo, with the black vinyl roof over the burnt amber, I remember seeing only a few of those back in the day

The 390 engine is heavier than the 389/302, and much more difficult to change the plugs on, 'cause that engine is shoehorned in there, but Tim told me at the Grass Valley show, that the upgraded suspension components in the car handle the weight OK, and so the big issue is the fuel consumption, the 390 goes like stink but really sucks up the Persian Perrier big time

For everyday driving, the 289/302 works fine. Looking back at my Cougar, I finally decided against the 390GT in favor of the 289 for the economy and ease of maintenance. But, nothing like tipping into the 390 for a real thrill.
Can only imagine the CJ 428 experience (or the 427 side oiler)

Jim

68gt390

390cs68rcode said:
my 390 gets 10 mpg and the CJ gets 7 mpg.

I do have a genetically heavy right foot. :grin:

Jason;
If your CJ is stock, you can just imagine what my MPG is. Bottom line, if we'd of bought our cars for gas miliage, none of us would have a big block. :cool:

Don

390cs68rcode

I agree, I don't buy cars for how good the mileage is but rather how much horsepower they have. My Benz gets 11mpg.

Mustanglvr

390cs68rcode said:

Its that mullet weighing you down Jason.:wink:

RedGTvert

390cs68rcode said:

I used to measure driving my CJ by hours rather than MPG. Always sounded better :grin:

still looking for one

At the end of the '60's the "gas wars" sometimes brought the prices down to 35cents a gallon a couple of times, or you could get steak knives, drinking glasses, S and H green stamps with gasoline, it was a different era for sure

Nothing like the rumble of a 440, Hemi, 427 or 428 at the stoplight next to you. Some people SWORE you could actually HEAR the gas being sucked into the secondaries when the go-pedal was floored.

I borrowed a '71 383 stick Roadrunner in Sacramento a long time ago and man that thing got the job done LOL it was blue and it looked good too

Jim

case12

still looking for one said:
At the end of the '60's the "gas wars" sometimes brought the prices down to 35cents a gallon a couple of times, or you could get steak knives, drinking glasses, S and H green stamps with gasoline, it was a different era for sure

Jim

Anybody remember the 60's give away at Exxon (Esso) of the orange plastic tiger boxing gloves (tiger in your tank...)? You could hang from the mirror? I had some as a kid, presumably from a fill-up my parents got - but they are long gone (along with my original GI Joes).

I finally found a pair on eBay from someone who got them new in Alabama as a kid, and found them in a box in the attic. They sent me a nice story of how they got them, the gas station they got them at and how they found them again. I have them hanging from my '66 vert mirror. Casey

390cs68rcode

I have a few Esso lighters in my vintage Rolex advertising lighter collection. They come up on Ebay all the time. One of the few "old stuff" things I collect.

marie68csmustangs

I do have a heavy right foot too.. Must be genetic or something.. My grandma and dad both have that condition as well.. As fir the car, I hope that it has a spare tire as well.. Due to the fact it has a spare engine..