• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1st Post

Skychief

I have been watching your website for 2-3 years now and have learned a great deal from all of you. You don't know it but you played a big role in the restoration of our California Special. I waited to get the car finished and some presentable pictures before writing in for the first time. Thanks to all of you for your help.

Ours is a 1968 Mustang California Special, 289 engine, auto transmission, air conditioning, Marchal fog lights. Color is Gulf Stream Aqua, located in East Helena, Montana. Current owners: Ken and Sue Mergenthaler. The California Special was a graduation gift to original owner. She drove the vehicle during her college years and for awhile after her marriage and moving to Montana. The second owner was Mike Kelly of Helena, Montana.
Mike purchased the car in 1992 from Geraldine Layne, the original owner. My wife and I purchased the car in 1995 from Mike Kelly and are the third owners. I've always wanted a California Special (as you can see by the trunk lid in the pictures of the race car) and told Mike that if he ever wanted to sell the car I would like to have the first option on it. Mike stayed true to his word, and called when he was going to sell it. Mike works at the local Ford dealership and was able to get the front and rear lower valances and the rocker moldings NOS. (They were bent up by driving in deep snow in Montana) In 2004 we started taking the car completely apart. Everything came off or out of the car. When it was disassembled we took the car, piece by piece to have it plastic media blasted. This car unbelievably, had no rust, only a few minor dings and no previous body work. It was painted the original color by our friend Scott Bracken here in Helena. Every thing that is not original was replaced with either NOS or the closest reproduction parts we could find. The things that were changed to the way we wanted them can all be put back to original. We saved all of the original parts, they were cleaned and packaged for storage. There isn't as much as a hole drilled in the car that wasn't there from the factory.
We are still working on a few things and working out little bugs, but for the most part she is back to her original state, fun to drive and she can really catch your eye when you see her going down the road. We made the final push to have the California Special ready for the 25th annual Icebreaker rod run and muscle car roundup held Memorial Day weekend here in Helena. We got the car ready to go at about 3:30 am Saturday morning, just in time to watch it rain for the next 3 days. We did get to go to an afternoon BBQ on Sunday with it, as you can see by the mud on the tires.
The next big event here was July 1st and 2nd. Blast from the Past had 1/8th mile nostalgia drags (heads up run watcha brung and hope you brung enough).
That is where the other 68 Mustang comes in. The Burgundy 68 is set up for drag racing with a 289, C-6, 5.43 9" with ladder bars and coil overs. It ran a 7.19 ET. We had the CS there also and made 1 pass with it. It got a lot of comments and questions. All in all we had a great weekend. We are looking forward to going to more car shows around the state with the California Special, and we try to cruise each Wednesday evening with a local group. Again thanks for all you help.

Ken, Sue and Hoss (the Boston Terrier)

BroadwayBlue

Welcome to the site Ken, Sue and Hoss!
(even though you've been spying on us for some time :grin: )

Congrats on the cars they sound great!! Pics didn't post but hope to see some real soon!
CORRECTION: Found your pics in the Gallery. Nice looking cars!!

Oh yeah, join in the fun and post some more!! :wink:

Last edited:

Mustanglvr

Welcome Ken, Sue and Hoss! Its great to have you as new members and as fellow GT/CS enthusiasts! You`ve got some beautiful cars there. Is your car in the registry? Please post a Marti report when you can. They always make interesting reading. Looking forward to seeing you around the site!

Mustanger

Great to hear from you Ken, Sue and Hoss! It's cool to hear how you're progressing on your CS, but also especially how you stepped out and let yourself be known! Hope you can join us with our many lively discussions ...

68gt390

Welcome to the site. As you've already found out there's a great group of folks here on the site with a vast knowledge of our cars.

Ken; What size tires are you running on the back of the CS?

Again - Welcome.

Don :grin:

OP
OP
S

Skychief

Broadway Blue, thanks for the wecome. Mustanglvr, I haven't taken the time yet to look into the registry or get a Marti report yet but I will work on getting them done. Also thank you for the welcome. Also want to thank Mustanger and 68gt390 for the welcome. 68gt390 I will get the size of the rear tires for you as soon as I can. They are mounted on 7" stock wheels and fit just right for my taste.

And then there is Mosesatm! I have by far had the most fun reading some of your posts. It doesn't suprise me that you came up with a word that I had to look up. Problem is that I'm still not sure which of the 4 meanings for the word that you are refering to, but I have no doubt that if Sue finds out there is something Hoss doesn't have she will soon fix it. It was you that I included a picture of Hoss for. He is THE most faithful friend anyone could ask for.

Ken

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Welcome Ken, Sue and Hoss! Were you asking about Mosesatm's avatar comment? In the context of internet forums it means the small image below your username on the left side of all your posts. Example: see Mosesatm's pic of his pooch in all his posts.

To put your own image there click on "User CP" at the top left and then "Edit Avatar". If you run into problems resizing your image feel free to post in the Test and Help forum for directions.

PS - I looked up avatar just for the heck of it. I now see why you were confused! The "incarnation of a Hindu deity" isn't exactly Mustang related.:grin:

Mosesatm

Skychief said:
And then there is Mosesatm! I have by far had the most fun reading some of your posts. It doesn't suprise me that you came up with a word that I had to look up. Problem is that I'm still not sure which of the 4 meanings for the word that you are refering to, but I have no doubt that if Sue finds out there is something Hoss doesn't have she will soon fix it. It was you that I included a picture of Hoss for. He is THE most faithful friend anyone could ask for.

Ken

OK, you have now instantly become my two favorite people in the world!!! (Sorry, Hook, you've been replaced.:sad: )

You are obviously people of superior intellect (similar to Casey), you have great taste in cars, are dog lovers, and are from the NW.:icon_ecst

By all means welcome to the site!!!

If you are looking for GT/CS knowledge (from the purest-of-the-pure concourse level to the wildly off-center flamed out 4x4 mud racing monsters, and everything in between), this is the place. It’s also a good place to just hang out. As others have already stated, you will find that these are great people and we all get along well, even when we don’t agree with each other. Sure we fight and claw from time to time but it all blows over and we’re back to our discussions about one of the most unique Mustangs ever built.

But just as a warning there are a few subjects that we have discovered should be avoided or treaded lightly upon. Those would be; the war, police officers, fake GT/CS grilles being sold as NOS (that one was fun. Way to go Joe!!!), and big ugly bird-sucking hood scoops. Naw, the hood scoops are still fair game, so have at it.

Sorry I didn't explain the avatar thing. Jon is correct in that I meant the little picture next to your posts. Getting the pictures small enough can be something of a challenge. I think they need to be either 19.5K or 80x80 pixels. The one of Nani is around 19.5K and 150 x 150 pixels.

Mustanglvr

Ken, post your vin number and somebody here can see if its in the registry.

Diesel Donna

Waaaaah! Arlie I thought I was your favorite dogperson!

WOOF DA!!

Welcome Ken, Sue and Hossaroni. Great to have you out of the closet! I mean, garage.