• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

For Sale 1968 GT/CS For Sale

1968Cally

It is time to sell my beloved “Cally.” I thought that I would post it here and the VMF forum before listing it on Hemmings. 8R01J140036 built 2/8/68. Sold by Pacific Ford in Long Beach and the car has one of the dealer license plate frames. Per the Deluxe Marti (included in sale), it was originally a one of one car. Now with a 302 with a mild cam, Cobra intake/ Edelbrock 1403 and Hipo exhaust manifolds, Hipo exhaust system, new Dead Nuts On correct alternator. C4 (shift kit), Newly rebuilt and broken in 3.00 Quick Performance 8” rear. Stock PS and PDB.

Black Deluxe interior (originally Ivy Gold) with a 1970 AM/FM stereo with rear shelf speakers and stock location door speakers. Also has the upper map light console. Correct Ford rear window defogger. Interior is 9.8/10. Rotisserie restoration in 2002, Red Primer under body, Sunlit Gold paint (hood blackout) and black vinyl top. Paint/chrome/stainless/top is near perfect. Glass is good (newer windshield.) There is a dime sized discoloration on the rear glass. Note that the correct Mustang script was added to front fenders after pictures were taken. Runs and drives very nicely.

R12 HVAC system in good shape except a little low on the Freon. I have a tank with some R12 left in it. Sanden compressor. All vacuum motors and lines replaced and all HVAC doors etc. work very well. I have the original compressor with mounting bracket, idler wheel and hardware. I have a list of all parts and receipts replaced since I acquired the car in 2018. Also, many receipts from prior owner.

The car actually has a factory voided vin of 8R01J131680 under the front fenders. Some have speculated that this may have been a debut stage car that was built earlier. A screen shot of the registry info for the voided VIN is included in the pictures. There was a thread here about it but I can’t find it now. As I said, “speculation” and I make no claim as to its veracity.

A couple of additional notes. While the hubcaps and gas cap are items included in the GT option, the car is not a true GT. Also, the temperature gauge on the water outlet has been removed and replaced by a plug. I used that gauge to determine the stock temp gauge reading. BTW, car runs in the hottest weather at 195-200 degrees.

I would highly encourage prospective buyers to see this car in person or by their agent. I am in Zip 60014 (NW Chicagoland) and about 45 minutes from O’Hare.

If interested and/or have questions, please PM me. Asking $54,900

Additional pictures can be found here: https://californiaspecial.com/forums/media/albums/1968-gtcs.791/

IMG_1411.JPG

Last edited:

speedy02

@1968Cally We have information on seven GT/CS event cars for the Center Plaza for the Dealer Show. All Seven left San Jose Plant on Feb 14th for PICO RIVER, CA Assembly Plant. Then later taken to the event at Center Plaza for the Dealer Show on Feb 15th. The seven cars sent were the following colors.

1. Gulfstream Aqua - White Vinyl top
2. Gulfstream Aqua - solid non Vinyl top
3. Highland Green - solid non Vinyl top
4. Candy Apple Read - solid non Vinyl top
5. White - solid non Vinyl top
6. Springtime Yellow (Meadowlark yellow) - solid non Vinyl top
7. Tahoe Turquoise - solid non Vinyl top

No, Other GTCS left San Jose before February 15th. These 7 have a blank release date on their Marti Report. Your voided VIN points to the Gulfstream Aqua and White Vinyl event car. Both your car and the event car went down the assembly line the same day (Thursday) February 8th. So there appears to be a mix up at the plant to cause this. However, this would places your car in the first 200 built. 140036 was released on Feb 15th (Thursday) to dealership Pacific Auto Sales for a Stock Order.

It is pretty cool that you have a voided VIN pointing to one of the event cars wish we could talk to the line worker at San Jose on that one sure could lead to an interesting story. I know you make no claim of being a event car however some of the newer people may not no the information above. Whoever buys this car will have something to be very proud of. GLWS

Also, I am not seeing the screen shot of the registry info for the voided VIN is included in the pictures in your Media album.

OP
OP
1968Cally

1968Cally

@1968Cally We have information on seven GT/CS event cars for the Center Plaza for the Dealer Show. All Seven left San Jose Plant on Feb 14th for PICO RIVER, CA Assembly Plant. Then later taken to the event at Center Plaza for the Dealer Show on Feb 15th. The seven cars sent were the following colors.

1. Gulfstream Aqua - White Vinyl top
2. Gulfstream Aqua - solid non Vinyl top
3. Highland Green - solid non Vinyl top
4. Candy Apple Read - solid non Vinyl top
5. White - solid non Vinyl top
6. Springtime Yellow (Meadowlark yellow) - solid non Vinyl top
7. Tahoe Turquoise - solid non Vinyl top

No, Other GTCS left San Jose before February 15th. These 7 have a blank release date on their Marti Report. Your voided VIN points to the Gulfstream Aqua and White Vinyl event car. Both your car and the event car went down the assembly line the same day (Thursday) February 8th. So there appears to be a mix up at the plant to cause this. However, this would places your car in the first 200 built. 140036 was released on Feb 15th (Thursday) to dealership Pacific Auto Sales for a Stock Order.

It is pretty cool that you have a voided VIN pointing to one of the event cars wish we could talk to the line worker at San Jose on that one sure could lead to an interesting story. I know you make no claim of being a event car however some of the newer people may not no the information above. Whoever buys this car will have something to be very proud of. GLWS

Also, I am not seeing the screen shot of the registry info for the voided VIN is included in the pictures in your Media album.
Oops! I added the image from the registry listing. First one in the album. One thing I have wondered that if this car was Gulfstream Aqua/white vinyl roof, The Ivy Gold interior would seem to have been a good match for that color. Thoughts?

Last edited:

speedy02

Oops! I added the image from the registry listing. First one in the album. One thing I have wondered that if this car was Gulfstream Aqua/white vinyl roof, The Ivy Gold interior would seem to have been a good match for that color. Thoughts?
The Gulfstream Aqua car has Aqua Décor Bucket Seats listed on its Marti Report.

OP
OP
1968Cally

1968Cally

The Gulfstream Aqua car has Aqua Décor Bucket Seats listed on its Marti Report.
So why in the world would the colors be changed for the entire car? I did find that the vinyl sleeves on the rear seatbelts were Ivy Gold. I never saw the Marti for the 131 car

speedy02

With your car being listed with Nugget Gold Decor I would say your car had the Green carpet and belts with it. Nugget Gold had interesting features as some have gold carpet, some have dark brown, and others would get Green. I don't remember when the UAW strike ended but they had supply issues and they placed what was available on the shelve in most cars. You will see a lot of 68 with black belts and their interior may be Blue, Red, Green, Parchment, etc.

Last edited: