• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

2007+ 100 Octane Dyno-tune

joedls

I got a 100 octane dyno-tune yesterday. The dyno-sheet shows the last dyno session and the latest. The difference is an off-road X-pipe and 100 octane fuel.

gtcsdyno001tg7.jpg

franklinair

Where do you get 100 octane? I sell it for aviation use (100LL), but am prohibited from selling it for non aviation use.

Neil

OP
OP
joedls

joedls

There are several places you can buy 100 octane unleaded gasoline here, but it's not cheap. That's the beauty of my handheld tuner. I have one tune for the street for 91 octane, then when I go to the track I can switch to my 100 octane tune.

admin

Staff member
Administrator
I used to buy it, but only at the track. They called it "Av gas" (as in aviation) but who knows if it really was.

robert campbell

Wow,
How cool is this!! I can bench race for hours on comparing today's fuel to yesterdays or to the 100 octane available for racing.

But to have a tuner that adjust immediately to the fuel..... Now that is cool!!! I have often wondered how much power I could pick up on race type fuel. I hop the readers do not confuse the 100 octane you are getting or compare it to 91 or 92 octane at the pump. If they got some of the fuel you got it would actually make their cars ping like the devil. They would find that they would need to back their timing off to compensate for the extra volatility of the race fuel. Which is the opposite of what you would think? 100 has got to ping less than 91 right? This fuel is more similar to the fuel in the 60’s.

Anyway, instant adjustment! Got to get me fuel injection!!!

Rob

Midnight Special

...Indeed, computers take all the fun out of it ;-)

With differing fuel grades and the elevation between home and key cruising spots, (30yrs.ago) I always kept the flat screwdriver and 1/2" wrench handy to stop and re-tune my Windsor...

rvrtrash

Well this shows my age, but I remember being able to feel the difference when I couldn't get Shell 101 Octane leaded premium anymore for my '72 Mach 1 because everyone was switching to low octane unleaded. How many remember mixing leaded regular, unleaded premium and octane booster to try and get a little lead for the valves and squeeze a little more octane into the mix? Ah yes, those were dark days!:sad:

Steve

Midnight Special

... How many remember mixing leaded regular, unleaded premium and octane booster to try and get a little lead for the valves and squeeze a little more octane into the mix? Ah yes, those were dark days!:sad:

Steve

Steve, during '78 and '79 and my first S-code, I had a buddy who ran the gas truck at the local airport after school. We would fill up & re-tune (by ear & feel) on Fridays before weekend play. As I remember tho...Didn't Union 76 continue with leaded premium for a few years after most stations?

franklinair

I have people come to our airport asking me to sell them the 100LL Avgas. I have to turn them down (and some get really upset). But I explain to them that their purchase is not worth the $10,000 fine I could get from the EPA.
To go farther back on memory lane: 45 years ago I used to race go-carts. I mixed Amoco hightest gasoline, benzene, castor oil, and a touch of Ronson lighter fluid. I raced a WestBend 2 cycle engine that I modified and bumped the RPM max from 5,000 RPM to 8,000 RPM. Of course, I had to tear it down & rebuid it every week, but I never blew it!

Neil (aka Barney Oldfield) Hoppe:cool:

rvrtrash

As I remember tho...Didn't Union 76 continue with leaded premium for a few years after most stations?

If they did, I missed out. As I recall, the leaded premium went away first. You could get leaded regular, unleaded regular and unleaded premium, at least up here. Then after a while, about a year or so, leaded regular was gone. Of course, I've had days off AND slept since then, but that's the way I remember it.

Steve