CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 04/01/2009, 11:33 PM   #1
Scott

Smashed Special

Couple of weeks ago I spun my GT/CS into a concrete wall on the Captain Cook Bridge just south of Sydney, Australia. Light rain, greasy road and an expansion joint conspired against my lack of skill and the fact that I have been driving a 240Z Datsun resulted in massive wheelspin and damage to all four corners!

Now that the restoration has started I'm slowly able to talk about it more and am trying for as much NOS as possible. Just bought these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3600&viewitem=
and wondered if you could tell me if they're the exact right ones. Only difference I can see is a grey rubber cone out the base of the light as opposed to a black grommet type on my originals.

Still struggling to look at the photos of the smash but might put up the restoration pics in the coming weeks as it gets further along. Currently it is gutted and half way to bare metal.

Thanks,
Scott
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/02/2009, 03:48 AM   #2
aemoo28
My Car Details

Looking for Satan 2.

Oh gosh it hurts. The pain never goes away... I can only imagine...

One more important reason for me to NOT drive while leaking p/s fluid.

ISO well behaved, dependable, and determined CS.
aemoo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/02/2009, 05:53 AM   #3
Mosesatm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Couple of weeks ago I spun my GT/CS into a concrete wall on the Captain Cook Bridge just south of Sydney, Australia. Light rain, greasy road and an expansion joint conspired against my lack of skill and the fact that I have been driving a 240Z Datsun resulted in massive wheelspin and damage to all four corners!

Now that the restoration has started I'm slowly able to talk about it more and am trying for as much NOS as possible. Just bought these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3600&viewitem=
and wondered if you could tell me if they're the exact right ones. Only difference I can see is a grey rubber cone out the base of the light as opposed to a black grommet type on my originals.

Still struggling to look at the photos of the smash but might put up the restoration pics in the coming weeks as it gets further along. Currently it is gutted and half way to bare metal.

Thanks,
Scott
Judging from the black dome mounting bracket I think those are black-backed lights. If the backs are black plastic instead of chrome they are not the correct lights.
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/02/2009, 08:10 AM   #4
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
Sooo sorry for your mishap. I'm sure support (moral & technical) will come forth from this site.

Neil
franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/02/2009, 08:46 AM   #5
tomcwarren
My Car Details

I have a couple of housings (chrome) I can send you. Bought 'em just for the front trim ring (one of mine had a broken ear where the screw goes in), so I have 2 shells (no lenses), one ring/bezel, no wires or mounts. Not concourse, but a little polish and they're good-to-go. You could swap 'em out for the plastic backs (if that's what you have) on your NOS lights. They're stamped 'England' and 'LR8' on the bottom, BTW.

Yours gratis - I have no need for 'em. Just pay shipping from 'Zona to Oz.

Let me know if you are interested and I'll attach pics.

Tom
tomcwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/02/2009, 11:10 AM   #6
HappyHour

Sorry to hear Scott...the forum always appreciates pics to celebrate the highs and also to provide sympathy and healing for those mishaps. Im hoping noone was injured!!

Anycase I can dig up some lenses and\or housings your way if needed. They may be rough will take a look but lets just say I went on a little Lucas buying spree to corner the market.

Just have a Coopers waiting for me when I swing through...or couple of Lions Red would suffice.

RobKat

Robert
68 J Code SoCal Special
94 Defender 90 #16 "Best 4x4xfar"
HappyHour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/02/2009, 04:39 PM   #7
Scott

Thanks so much for your kind words! Not many people understand how gutting it is.

Huge thanks to Tom and Robert for the offers of parts. You are too kind. I've asked the seller to clarify if they are the correct lights or not.

On another point, my friendly panel & paint guy Brian is a rather talented chap and likes to do things to the highest possible standards (story goes one 65 convertible owner had to take the spray gun off him to get the runs the factory would've left under his car that was aiming for a concourse job) and he is wanting to "fix" the fit and finish of my special since I've chosen to go the extra mile to a bare metal repaint. Just wondering what your opinion is of this. As an example, he's rather disgusted by the finish on the surface of the fibreglass parts and also the gaps around the back of the car after seeing another special that is still intact.

Thanks again, Scott

PS - living in Sydney it best to order a hahn (especially in Coogee as he's a local), james squire or anything from tooheys as we aussies tend to be a bit territorial about beers - Coopers are from south australia (although tolerated) and lions are New Zealand which means you cannot even buy it and could get dangerous if they've just beaten us at any code of rugby or cricket!
Old 04/02/2009, 08:34 PM   #8
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
Looks like we have an uninvited huckster on this thread. (Jon??)
franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/08/2009, 09:00 PM   #9
Scott

Nude Photos Here!

G'day,
Some pics of the smash and progress to date attached.
Reagards,
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4616 (Medium).JPG
Views:	79
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	8600   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4619 (Medium).JPG
Views:	81
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	8601   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4641 (Medium).JPG
Views:	59
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	8602  

Name:	IMG_4655 (Medium).JPG
Views:	69
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	8603   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4662 (Medium).JPG
Views:	51
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	8604   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4665 (Medium).JPG
Views:	57
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	8605  

Old 04/08/2009, 09:59 PM   #10
Midnight Special
My Car Details

Wow! Talk about progress!! For only happening a few weeks ago?... Amazing! I'd still be sulking.

Tim
Midnight Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/09/2009, 03:01 PM   #11
HappyHour

That one baddass looking CS that looks like it got in a fight. Im sure in a couple of years you will be telling the story, showing pics saying...

"Yeah but you should see what I did to the bridge, mate!". Good to see it coming along Scott!

Noticed your of those horse\corral in the grill type?

Robert
68 J Code SoCal Special
94 Defender 90 #16 "Best 4x4xfar"
HappyHour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/11/2009, 12:17 AM   #12
Scott

Not actually a fan of the pony on grille at all. My wife is fond of it though. Maybe I should say was fond of it. Always wanted to get rid of it and now's my chance!

Speaking of the grille, we've started modification of the 67 replacement and I must thank paul for the great help his book has been.
Old 04/14/2009, 04:53 PM   #13
Scott

is the grand canyon in california?

Has anyone else had experience with this?... Or able to offer an idea on how to fix it up best?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bit of  a gap (Medium).JPG
Views:	44
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	8639  
Old 05/06/2009, 11:19 PM   #14
Scott

Fender Bolts

Stumped on the fender bolts today - mine were chromed during the car's last restoration. Is there a "correct" bolt finish to use? Can find black and cadmium bolts for sale here - http://www.metropartsmarket.com/cata...rts-c26s3.html but which is right for the Special? Sure I've read something about this before but cannot find it now.
Thanks in advance,
Scott
Old 05/07/2009, 06:20 AM   #15
Mosesatm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Stumped on the fender bolts today - mine were chromed during the car's last restoration. Is there a "correct" bolt finish to use? Can find black and cadmium bolts for sale here - http://www.metropartsmarket.com/cata...rts-c26s3.html but which is right for the Special? Sure I've read something about this before but cannot find it now.
Thanks in advance,
Scott
Here is a page from the 2008 NPD catalog. Note the outlined box on the right side of the page.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf bumper bolts.pdf (343.2 KB, 17 views)
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions