CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 03/13/2009, 08:01 AM   #1
tworings
My Car Details
 

Location: So Cal
Joined: Mar 06
Posts: 210

My Garage
Self-healing car coating repairs scratches

How cool would this be?

Self-healing car coating repairs scratches
New polyurethane film works when exposed to sunlight
By Eric Bland
Discovery Channel
updated 3:09 p.m. PT, Thurs., March. 12, 2009
The next time your car is keyed, park it under a ray of sunshine. If your car is coated in a new polyurethane film developed by scientists from the University of Southern Mississippi, the scratch will be gone in an hour.

The research is detailed in the current issue of the journal Science.

"We have developed a new macromolecule," said Marek Urban, who, along with Biswajit Ghosh, wrote the paper. "When the polymer is damaged and exposed to sunlight, it is capable of repairing itself, and could be applied to many systems."

The new coating is 99.99 percent standard polyurethane, a material found in a wide range of products, including hard plastic and soft foams. The remaining 0.01 percent is either a four-molecule oxetane ring or a long rod of chitosan. Chitosan is closely related to chitin, the tough material found in the shells of lobsters and crabs.

When the polyurethane is damaged, a ring of oxetane is also ripped open. Breaking the surface of the polyurethane also allows ultraviolet light to enter the scratch, which breaks apart a rod of chitosan.

The broken chitosan rods and oxetane rings then bond with each other across the damaged area, dragging the two sides together to eliminate the scratch. If the polyurethane coating is left in the sun, a scratch heals itself in an hour.

Scientists say that the reaction only takes place when the surface is damaged, and that it should be should be able to repair most scratches indefinitely. But since the material is so new, they haven't been able to conduct long-term tests.

Long-term testing will be necessary before the coating makes it into any commercial products. If approved, however, the coating could be used for a wide range of materials.

"You can make it whatever color you want, just add pigments" said Urban. Car paint is "the first applications that comes to mind, but you can think of electronics, phones, iPods, etc."

The beauty of the new coating, according to Craig Hawker at the University of California, Santa Barbara, is that since it is made from a derivative of chitin, it is environmentally friendly.

"The use of renewable materials is a centrally important selling point," said Hawker. "And the novel use of UV as a trigger for healing is extremely versatile."


"There could be some issues, especially when you scale production up," said Urban. "But it shouldn't be a long time before you see this material in commercial production.

2009 Discovery Channel
URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29663741/from/ET/



MSN Privacy . Legal
2009 MSNBC.com
tworings is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > Misc Forums > Off Topic Lounge

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: Stevenson GT/CS PFSlim Classified Ads 65 01/24/2009 08:19 AM
2008 Cruisin' for Cops Memorial Run and Car show somethingspecial GT/CS and HCS Discussions 7 07/28/2008 09:28 AM
1968 California Special Mustang vintageracer Classified Ads 15 03/02/2008 05:38 PM
Red GT/CS in Texas on eBay Mosesatm Classified Ads 55 08/11/2007 10:57 PM
Opinions on Car Covers CALIF GIRL GT/CS and HCS Discussions 14 02/09/2007 03:26 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.


This site created, owned and maintained by Jon Hanna - Copyright 1996-2011
All rights reserved. CaliforniaSpecial.com is not affiliated with Ford Motor Company

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.