• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

water leakage/trunk

imported_tree

Question for you guys.and ladies. is there a problem with gt/cs trunks leaking? the previous owner installed a new trunk seal and it looks good but every time i wash the car i get water in the rear quarter panel well.any ideas or solutions to this minor problem.terry........................................

68gt390

Terry;
Mine leaks around the left side even with new seal also. When ever I'm driving in the rain or washing the car I insert a small piece of vacume hose between the opening in the trunk seal and that helps stop it. Our trunk lids are notorious for warppage and not allowing the lid to seal good.

Don

di81977

Has anyone ever drilled holes in the rear quarter wells? I have the same problem and was thinking about trying this. Too chicken so far. Don't want my paint chipping, even if it is under the car.

david

Mosesatm

There should already be holes in the quarter wells, with a 90 degree turn-down under the car.

di81977

Arlie,

Any chance of posting a picture for me? Is it one hole per side? Don't worry about it if it is too much of a hassle.

thanks
David

Mosesatm

I'll be under the car for most of the day (bleeding brakes and installing u-joints & fuel lines) so I'll get you a shot of it.

There is one hole per side, usually filled with mud and other junk.

68gt390

390cs68rcode said:
you drive yours in the rain? what about getting road grime on the detailed motor?

You betcha. That's what they make cleaning supplies for. As a matter of fact I just got done redoing the engine bay from last night and I'm back on the road again this afternoon, rain and all. I'll have the entire undercarriage steam cleaned before next weekend since I'm going to the Earth Angel Cruise in Southern Ohio on the 17th of June (usually over a 1000 cars). That's what makes the car fun, the fact that I drive it. She's not just sitting around waiting for those sunny days only.

Don :grin:

68sunlitgold

Don,
Good on you for driving it in the rain....I drive my coupe everyday to work and would drive my CS as much as I could if it were with me. I think everyone should drive their cars as much as they can so everyone can see how rare these cars are and make others want one even if it is the new 2006 CS.

Doug

OP
OP
imported_tree

imported_tree

leakage

Mosesatm said:
There should already be holes in the quarter wells, with a 90 degree turn-down under the car.

i looked under the rear wells and could not find any holes, i would like to correct the problem but drilling holes is out of the question.p/s i dont drive my car in the rain ,its gets a bath when the Califorina duster cant pick up any more dust.the major fathers day car show is june 18 and cant wait to display the gt/cs. there are expecting in the neighborhood of 250-400 autos for this show and another great chance to show the public the califorina special. o- by the way i ordered a stripe kit from tony brama ?cost 79.00$ the place that will install it 350.00 how that for a rip off..thanks for letting me vent and the advice for the trunk problem. terry.......................

390cs68rcode

68gt390 said:
You betcha. That's what they make cleaning supplies for. As a matter of fact I just got done redoing the engine bay from last night and I'm back on the road again this afternoon, rain and all. I'll have the entire undercarriage steam cleaned before next weekend since I'm going to the Earth Angel Cruise in Southern Ohio on the 17th of June (usually over a 1000 cars). That's what makes the car fun, the fact that I drive it. She's not just sitting around waiting for those sunny days only.

Don :grin:

I'm glad it does not rain THAT much around here. I could not live in Seattle and own old cars.

Mosesatm

Here is a picture of drain hole from under the car and a picture of where the drain hole is in the quarter well (follow the wire tie down).

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

68sunlitgold

Terry,
I didn't mean to jump in but I took some pics of the rear qtr hole. The first picture is from the inside looking down, passenger side toward the front of the car (you can see the start of the interior wheel well). The second pic is looking at the same hole looking upward. You will notice there is a black rubber "insert" which goes into the metal hole. These holes are on both sides and are there to let water run out should the trunk get water in it. Many qtrs rust because these hole get plugged with junk just like the holes that are in the cowls. Hope this helps

Doug

PS. this is from my coupe with no rust in either qtr (other than surface rust) to include original sound deadener and paint.

Attachments

• hole in rear qtr1.jpg
    hole in rear qtr1.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 39
  • hole in rear qtr2.jpg
    hole in rear qtr2.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 41

di81977

Doug and Arlie,

I really appreciate you posting these pictures. Still no clue what I will do, but I did like Don's idea of a vacum hose added to the existing weatherstriping when I wash the car.

Thanks
David

rvrtrash

You could probably track down the leak by removing the rear seat and crawling into the trunk part way from the passenger compartment with a flashlight while someone ran a hose over the trunk area on the outside. It may be the trunk lid, the caulking where the taillight panel mounts to the body or the caulking on the taillights. Good luck.
Steve

Mosesatm

Another good method, similar to Steve's, is to get in the trunk, close the lid, and see where light is entering. Just make sure you really trust the person you ask to let you out.

One thing to remember with our cars is that you may get water in the trunk even if the weatherstripping is working correctly. In theory the coupe body style and the ducktail spoiler create a very strong vacuum behind the car and that vacuum sucks road spray from the rear tires towards the rear of the car. For that reason any hole or gap around the tail light panel and bumper may be a source of some moisture.

A leaky rear window can also be a source of trunk moisture.