• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Water Blasting

Ruppstang

I thought I would try a different method of paint and rust removal on our latest HCS project. This process uses high pressure water and air with a recycled glass as the media. They also add a chemical that stops the metal from flash rusting and will not rust as long as you keep it dry. It took six hours and 24 50lbs bags of glass. It did a great job of cleaning and no metal distortion because of the water cooling. The only down side is the clean up, It packed in to the corners and has to be dug out and blown out. Luckly we had a 60 degree day in late November in Nebraska.

This car has had a interesting life, it has been rolled, has five bullet holes in it and had a trailer hitch at one time. Oh if only the sheet metal could tell it's tales.
Marty

Attachments

• 68 HCS Blasting day 001.jpg
    68 HCS Blasting day 001.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 69
  • 68 HCS Blasting day 003.jpg
    68 HCS Blasting day 003.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 68 HCS Blasting day 006.jpg
    68 HCS Blasting day 006.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 70

franklinair

WOW. Great job Marty. Looks awesome. Any serious rust issues?

Neil

robert campbell

You really tear them down!! But the effort is worth it!!

Do you have style steel wheels on the fork lift?? Side stripes?

Rob

Maine gt/cs

Is that the Dustless System that I have been reading about that you used. I have been very interested in how the job comes out and how much of a pain the clean up will be.

Tim

OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

WOW. Great job Marty. Looks awesome. Any serious rust issues?

Neil

It was too bad it was left out side with the windows down, You can't see it in the pictures but the entire floor is out of it. The good news is there is not much rust any where else. One weird place is the dash, the windshield must have leaked and the water got under the dash pad. The worst problem is the poor job some one did when they replaced the roof, we may have to redo it.

Attachments

• 68 HCS Blasting day 002.jpg
    68 HCS Blasting day 002.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

You really tear them down!! But the effort is worth it!!

Do you have style steel wheels on the fork lift?? Side stripes?

Rob

It was not my fork lift but if it was you bet it would.
When I restore a car every part is done that way it is basically a new car when I am done. It always seems the one thing you do not do all ways come back to haunt you latter.
If I get a fork lift may be you could come down and put some performance parts on? Headers, four barrel, blower, cam and lowering kit.
LOL Marty