CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 06/22/2017, 07:50 AM   #1
hatchdog

Key blank question

Here's a strange one. The trunk key for my CS is the same blank less the square top (it is round as expected) as my ignition key. See picture for clarification, I marked the raised side on both with a black marker. Typically the trunk key with the round top would have the raised side opposite the ignition key. I went to my local Ace to have more keys cut and the only way they could cut my trunk key was to use a square top blank. Not the end of the world but this would make key selection difficult. I checked CJ's and all their blanks are the same as Ace. Any thoughts on this and any suggestions on how to resolve this? I searched this forum and found nothing. Thanks, Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0187.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	21459  
hatchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/22/2017, 08:10 AM   #2
CougarCJ
My Car Details

Spaceman Spiff

My Garage
I suspect that your trunk lock has been replaced with a cheap over seas lock cylinder.

Scott Behncke
1968 GT/CS 302-4V Honors flysis income beezis onches nobis inob keesis
West Coast Classic Cougar A good source for Mustang mechanical parts too.
CougarCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/22/2017, 02:21 PM   #3
p51
My Car Details

Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchdog View Post
Any thoughts on this and any suggestions on how to resolve this?
Clearly at one time these round "reversed" key blanks existed... you have one. So...

One thing you might try is searching for "Ford round key blanks" or something like "Ford round reversed key blanks" on Google and then select "images" to see if you can find a fit...

Does this work?
https://picclick.com/2-New-Ford-Oem-...341908744.html

The world stands aside to let anyone pass who knows where he is going.
p51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/26/2017, 06:48 AM   #4
hatchdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CougarCJ View Post
I suspect that your trunk lock has been replaced with a cheap over seas lock cylinder.
Coug, I believe you are correct. Here is a link to the replacement trunk lock from CJPony parts and the key is reversed same as mine. Since the lock functions fine I think I will just have a key cut from the square blank and maybe try to grind it to an oval shape. Or, just not worry about it as this will be a spare set of keys.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/dynacorn-...1973/p/HW1464/

P51, you might be on to something there, the blank has an extra small groove in it but there's a good chance that that won't matter. Since they're cheap enough I think I will order a set and try them out.
Thanks for the link.

Edit, found a page that allowed search by year and this blank will not work on 1968 cars. Crap!

Last edited by hatchdog; 06/26/2017 at 07:00 AM..
Old 06/26/2017, 09:34 AM   #5
p51
My Car Details

Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchdog View Post

Edit, found a page that allowed search by year and this blank will not work on 1968 cars. Crap!
It might be that the lock on your car is not original and was replaced at some time with a lock designed for non-1968 car...

The world stands aside to let anyone pass who knows where he is going.
p51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2017, 04:05 PM   #6
hatchdog

After two trips to Ace hardware to get a trunk key cut I give up! We tried a square headed key with the door lock pattern and it would only go about half way into the lock. Both my door and trunk keys slide into the lock just fine. Today the Ace guy and I found a slightly smaller blank but it would'nt go far enough into the lock either. The good news is I found a NOS trunk lock with keys for sale at what I think is a reasonable price on EBay so that should fix me right up!

It looks like replacing the lock is pretty simple except for getting fat fingers into the mount to install the retainer. Any suggestions for me?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 07/10/2017, 04:40 PM   #7
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
I use long needle nose pliers to R&R the clip.

Neil
franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/15/2017, 11:22 AM   #8
hatchdog

Received and installed the new lock cylinder and all is good. Proper keys as the good old boys from Ford designed.

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions