• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

How was GT/CS built?

case12

I dont have Paul's book, but was wondering - how were CT/CS's built? Were they built on the same line as other 68's, or a separate line? The history section of this site says that Shelby Automotive was involved - and I was wondering how involved they were. It appears they were not involved in production?

Thanks for the help on the history lesson.

68gt390

From what reading I've done in both of Paul's books the fiberglass parts unique to the GT/CS were manufactured by A.O. Smith at their Ionia, Michigan plant. They were also the same folks who made all the fiberglass pieces for the Shelby's during the 68 through 70 model years. From there the pieces were shipped to the San Jose plant to be assembled on the line.

The GT/CS cars were mixed in with the regular production mustangs usually in batches. There was not a seperate assembly line for the GT/CS. As far as Shelby involvement other than the figerglass pieces I don't think they had much to do with the car. I may be wrong so if anyone else out there can shed more light on this subject please do.

Something I found interesting was that A.O. Smith was also the folks that produced the fiberglass for the Chevrolet Corvette.

Don :D