CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 05/08/2005, 09:21 AM   #1
Mustanglvr
My Car Details

Former GT/CS owner :(

Send a message via Yahoo to Mustanglvr
My Garage
Air shocks

I have air shocks on my GT/CS. I can put air into them and 6 hours later the air has leaked out. It has been that way since I got it. I put air in them 4 days ago and it has`nt leaked out. It has done this before. The temperature here in Minnesota has been pretty much the same so I don`t think that would do it, so why do they hold air sometimes and sometimes they don`t? Is there anyway to repair the leak? Can a person put "Fix a Flat" in them? I know it might sound like a dumb idea but I had to ask. Rhonda
Mustanglvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/2005, 12:23 PM   #2
nfrntau
My Car Details

My Garage
Re:Air shocks

Rhonda,
My 67 had air shocks, never had a problem like that.

My only recommendation would be to check the pressure when you fill them. When you know they are leaking again, get a spray bottle of soapy water and spray all the fittings and seals from the valve stems along the tubing to the shocks. If you have a small leak it will make bubbles. Spray inside the end of the stem also.
A little freshwater from your hose will quickly clean any left over soap.
Same as you would do to check you gas system in your home. (just wouldn't use the hose to clean it up.. lol)

nfrntau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/2005, 12:25 PM   #3
390cs68rcode
My Car Details

Have you driven your CS or Cobra Jet today?

eBay: jbsteven1

My Garage

air shocks are nothing but trouble. Replace with KYB gas shocks and never worry about them again.
390cs68rcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/2005, 01:16 PM   #4
Mosesatm

True, air shocks are a PITA and they usually ride like a truck but they offer one thing that no one has been able to duplicate. They let you easily adjust the height of the rear of the car to achieve the perfect stance. Not too high, and not too low, just right. Even if you have a couple 250 pound drinking buddies in the back seat you can just add some air the shocks and you're still looking good. 8)
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/2005, 01:55 PM   #5
390cs68rcode
My Car Details

Have you driven your CS or Cobra Jet today?

eBay: jbsteven1

My Garage

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=1665;start=0#msg10260 date=1115583410]
True, air shocks are a PITA and they usually ride like a truck but they offer one thing that no one has been able to duplicate. They let you easily adjust the height of the rear of the car to achieve the perfect stance. Not too high, and not too low, just right. Even if you have a couple 250 pound drinking buddies in the back seat you can just add some air the shocks and you're still looking good. 8)
[/quote]

here is the bad part of your scenario:

With 2 Bubba's in the back and the air lets go on the freeway you will have horrible tire rubbing. This should shread your rear tires and maybe even do some damage to the quarter panel. Been there done that(without the 2 Bubbas)............once.
390cs68rcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/2005, 03:26 PM   #6
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage

I wouldn't put fix a flat in but the soap and water trick will work. The offending leak is probably in one of the fittings. I'd make sure they are all tight first. By the way, are you using one air valve or two? If using one with a "T" to both shocks, the air will move from your low side shock to the high side in a corner, accentuating body roll. Put in another valve and the air will stay put and if one is leaking, you've eliminated half the stuff to check.
Steve
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/2005, 03:57 PM   #7
PNewitt

I had air shocks, too from about 1977-82. What a pain! Speed bumps are killer!

One time my car "fell" down in the back, 'cause the exhaust burned through the neoprene hose!! AAHH!! I think they make air shock replacement hose kits?? THe soap idea is a great one. Try it.

I know why you used them--like me--to get the ride height back up to a fairly normal position. Stock (or KYB, etc.,) shocks won't help.

The bottom line (no pun) is to get some replacement rear leaf springs. It's an all-afternoon job, but well worth it. Worn springs are kinda dangerous, because it makes the car drive funny, like a three-legged dog.

The extended rear shackle idea isn't any better, and I find it looking kinda tacky.

my two bits.

Paul N.

Old 05/09/2005, 10:52 AM   #8
Mosesatm

I'm certainly not saying the air shocks are perfect. Shoot we've listed a number of problems with them in the earlier posts. And I will not have them on any of my future cars, but they have their place in the world. For a 17 year old high school kid with a beat up old California Special, very little cash, and a friend with a 18' ski boat, they were the perfect solution. Hoop up the boat, add some air, some ice, and some, refreshments and we were set for the weekend. A yellow and white ski boat hooked up to a Highland Green GT/CS is a pretty picture. But I digress......

And, yet I had problems with them just like everyone else has problems with them. The first day out I lost air (tail pipe) and sliced both brand new tires. An hour rolling the inner edges of the wheel arches took cars of any future air losses, but of course that was like closing the barn door after horse got out because I never lost air again for the next 10 years.

Ouch, the horse analogy brings up a painful memory. My old GT/CS and I had a close encounter of the big brown horse kind once. Dark road, dark brown horse, weak old Mustang headlights. The horse was smack dab in the center of the road. Swerved left but not quite far enough. Broke the windshield, tore off the drivers side mirror and the scoop, and wrinkled the whole left side of the car. The horse just walked away.

Found the horse and the horse's owner the next day. The horse's owner just built a new fence the day before and he couldn't figure out how the horse broke through it so easily. He nailed the horizontal boards to the OUTSIDE of the posts instead of the inside.

Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/09/2005, 11:15 AM   #9
nfrntau
My Car Details

My Garage

I never had any problems with the air shocks on my Mustang. That was back in 77. Mine had separate hoses also.
Using technology of today, my opinion is also go with some nice KYB or similar shocks and use new springs to adjust your ride hieght.
I have been looking at the Edelbrock IAS series shocks.
The jury is still out as to me using the original springs or not. They did not appear to be bad and the car sat level (side to side) and did not sag.
nfrntau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/09/2005, 08:03 PM   #10
jc68gtcs

Rhonda, do us all a favor and go into your garage and gather up all the fix-a-flat that you have and take it directly to the trash can.. They really shouldn't sell that stuff and it certainly doesn't belong inside of a tire, let alone air shocks.. Hope I didn't offend anyone, god that was fun...
jc68gtcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/09/2005, 08:16 PM   #11
Mustanglvr
My Car Details

My Garage

LMAO, Ok I will. :D Rhonda
Old 05/09/2005, 08:20 PM   #12
jc68gtcs

I should be ashamed, but I'll bite.. What is LMAO.. Geez, I'm a computer guy, I oughta be up on these acronyms...
Old 05/09/2005, 08:23 PM   #13
jc68gtcs

Never mind.. I woke up... too funny...
Old 05/09/2005, 08:26 PM   #14
Mustanglvr
My Car Details

My Garage

LMAO
Old 05/09/2005, 10:24 PM   #15
hookedtrout

eBay: bebopin

Send a message via Yahoo to hookedtrout
My Garage

[quote author=jc68gtcs link=board=1;threadid=1665;start=0#msg10318 date=1115694234]
Rhonda, do us all a favor and go into your garage and gather up all the fix-a-flat that you have and take it directly to the trash can.. They really shouldn't sell that stuff and it certainly doesn't belong inside of a tire, let alone air shocks.. Hope I didn't offend anyone, god that was fun...
[/quote]

No offense taken but I have several cans around and I'm keeping them. Both my ATV's have cans in the soft bags (don't want to be stranded in the Rockies) and after taking my riding lawnmower tire in to be repaired 3 times at the local tire store and finding it flat again the next time I went to mow I filled it up with Fix a Flat and it hasn't been flat now for 2 years. The stuff has its place, however air shocks isn't one of them. And tires stores hate it if they have to take apart a Fix a Flat tire...oh well, fix it right the first time and I won't fill it with Fix a Flat. ::)

Hook
hookedtrout is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions