CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 04/05/2014, 10:11 PM   #1
Cool Manchu

I have no idea what's going on...

My Garage
Introductions - And bringing one back from the dead

Hi everyone,

Today I joined the ranks of California Special owners. I have always loved the GT/CS since I first laid eyes on one. I come from a long line of Mustang owners. This is my first vintage Mustang, however I did own a 35th Anniversary Edition GT that I bought new.

The CS was found high up in the foothills of California. The car may have been kept in a garage since about 1993 or so. It has a ton of potential, but it's in pretty rough shape right now.

It was originally purchased in Sunnyvale, so I like to think that it's coming full circle and kind of coming back home since I live in San Jose.

The bad:
I need to get the engine, transmission, read end rebuilt. All of this is under progress.

The paint is done, gone, kaput. It's been worn down or something, and metal is exposed on the hood. It has a good deal of the original Highland Green paint and the white striping.

It's missing the original grille, as this one has the Mustang affixed to it and the screw holes are in the grille, so it's obviously not correct. Also, it has the stock 1968 Mustang rims on it. It may have come with those.

The good:
The body is in amazing shape. There isn't a single spot of rust anywhere on the car. Not a single bubble. Top to bottom...it's just wow! The only damage to the body is that it has a single silver dollar sized dent in the rear fender.

The all original interior is the best you could possibly hope for from a survivor car, as is the black vinyl top (which might not be original, no way to tell).

It has factory installed AC, Power Steering, and Power Front Disc Brakes. It has a standard 289, with a 2v Carb. 2:79 gearing..etc.

My intent is to bring it back to it's former glory one step at a time. I also intend to keep it as close to the original as possible.

I really look forward to getting to know y'all and sharing my progress on the car as well as pick your brain on how to do things right! It has so much potential and I want it to shine like it did in it's former life!

Sorry for the low res pics. I will post better ones once the car gets the drive train completed and I get back down to San Jose.

Cool Manchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/2014, 11:59 PM   #2
gscott

My Garage
You did well finding the GTCS. Lots of good people and info here. Enjoy the resto. Love the Highland Green cars.
gscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/06/2014, 05:19 AM   #3
somethingspecial

My Garage
Welcome

Congrats on your new car. Is this the one from Paradise, Ca. formerly owned by an pilot at Beale AFB. Could you send me the VIN and door Data Plate info for the Registry? The Previous owner was suppossed to send it to me but never did. Very nice car.

Mike Jewell
GT/CS Registrar
mikej@bigbytes.com
If at first you don't succeed, Parachuting is not for you!!!!
somethingspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/06/2014, 05:26 AM   #4
68sunlitgold
My Car Details

GT/CS nut

Great looking car and I concur that you did well in finding a very nice unrestored GT/CS. Post some pics of the grille so we can see what might be missing, does it have the light brackets? I really like the colors on your car, the green and white really stands out!! The good news as you stated is all the rare CS parts seem to be there. Looking forward to see more pictures of the car in the future.

Doug

1968 Sunlitgold 289 Coupe
1968 Sunlitgold 289 Convertible (sold)
1968 Sunlitgold 289 GT/CS
1968 Red 289 GT/CS
68sunlitgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/06/2014, 05:49 AM   #5
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
Welcome to the fold.

Steve

The wannabe formerly known as an owner.
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/06/2014, 09:52 AM   #6
Cool Manchu

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingspecial View Post
Congrats on your new car. Is this the one from Paradise, Ca. formerly owned by an pilot at Beale AFB. Could you send me the VIN and door Data Plate info for the Registry? The Previous owner was suppossed to send it to me but never did. Very nice car.
Hi Mike,

This is exactly that car. I sent you an email with the Data Plate. I also input what I know about the car to be factual on the website here.

There is a conflict with someone who previously put the information on here and the story I was told about the original owner. I may never know...
Old 04/06/2014, 09:54 AM   #7
Cool Manchu

My Garage
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. Here is the best pic I currently have of the front grill...

As you can see it has a Pony on the grill when it shouldn't. Also, the grill obviously was meant to have the Pony on it...so it tells me that it's not original...not sure what happened...but there it is. Also, it has the Lucas fog lamps.

I hope this can help.
Old 04/06/2014, 10:23 AM   #8
cool68

My Garage
welcome

very nice car... and welcome

fourth GT/CS
cool68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/06/2014, 10:28 AM   #9
cool68

My Garage
tell me

tell me did you guys notice that he had the Convenience Control Panel...look at the interior pic and look at the white console.....very cool and rare

fourth GT/CS
cool68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/06/2014, 10:29 AM   #10
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Ah heck, I bet she will buff right up!!! May have to lean on it a bit on the hood and tops of the fenders!! What a great color combo!!! Looks like an easy restore to a fun show and shine car!

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/06/2014, 10:29 AM   #11
Cool Manchu

My Garage
What is the "convenience control panel?"

And nice to meet you Cool68
Old 04/06/2014, 10:33 AM   #12
Mosesatm

If the grille was changed it's possible the hood was also replaced. The best way to tell is to open it and look at the holes that were drilled for the hood locks. The underside holes should be huge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hood Pin Hole 2.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	17626  
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/06/2014, 10:34 AM   #13
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Manchu,
It is the little lights in the front face of the console. You have air conditioning and the lights would normally be above the radio where your cent ducts are. I have this option in my car. But it is not air cond.

It is a door ajar light, a seat belt light, a low fuel flight and an e-brake light.
Very cool! You have a special fuel sending unit and tow little switches in your door latches. Lots of fun to get to work if they don't.... The door switches are way fun to get to.... Not....

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/06/2014, 10:37 AM   #14
Cool Manchu

My Garage
Thanks Rob! Given how long the car has been sitting, I am sure not much is still going to work. I need to get it back on the road first and then start my laundry list of things to fix. :)
Old 04/06/2014, 12:48 PM   #15
stangfan

GT/CS 8R01C150245

My Garage
Congratulations!!

Steve Cracknell
stangfan is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions