CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 01/21/2010, 02:38 PM   #1
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
Thread Sealer Tape

Last week when moving my C/S the oil pressure gage read '0'. I attached a direct reading gage to the adapter that screws into the block, and it read 50PSI so I assumed the sending unit had failed. I grounded the wire at the sending unit and the oil pressure gage went full scale, so I knew the wiring & gage were good.(This is NOT easy to get to with the A/C compressor & P/S pump in place.)
Replaced the sending unit (which also entailed skinned knuckles & bleeding). Cranked the engine and oil pressure gage read mid scale. All was well. When I restarted the engine, again- no oil pressure indication. I removed the new sending unit (minor loss of blood again) and replaced it with another new sending unit. Same thing again. On the first run oil pressure read OK. On restart '0' indication. Removed sending unit again (no loss of blood this time. With the sending unit removed, I cranked the engine a few revolutions (with a rag over the end of the adapter to catch the oil) and I found a small piece of that thread sealing tape on the rag. Voila! Re-installed the sending unit (minor blood loss) and now all is well.
No telling how long this was waiting to happen. The PO obviously used the tape thread sealer when putting the car together, sometime ago. The reason for this epistle is to give everyone a heads-up about using this stuff. I never do. 3M makes a very good gasket sealer, and I just coat threads with that. Works well.

Neil (O+ blood type) Hoppe
franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2010, 02:52 PM   #2
Midnight Special
My Car Details

...So Neil, did the thread sealing tape clog the sender, or did it affect the electrical ground?

P.S. I'm O+ too. Let me know if you need a pint shipped! I think I have a spare brake fluid container around here somewhere.......
;-)

Tim
Midnight Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2010, 03:07 PM   #3
Mosesatm

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinair View Post
Last week when moving my C/S the oil pressure gage read '0'. I attached a direct reading gage to the adapter that screws into the block, and it read 50PSI so I assumed the sending unit had failed. I grounded the wire at the sending unit and the oil pressure gage went full scale, so I knew the wiring & gage were good.(This is NOT easy to get to with the A/C compressor & P/S pump in place.)
Replaced the sending unit (which also entailed skinned knuckles & bleeding). Cranked the engine and oil pressure gage read mid scale. All was well. When I restarted the engine, again- no oil pressure indication. I removed the new sending unit (minor loss of blood again) and replaced it with another new sending unit. Same thing again. On the first run oil pressure read OK. On restart '0' indication. Removed sending unit again (no loss of blood this time. With the sending unit removed, I cranked the engine a few revolutions (with a rag over the end of the adapter to catch the oil) and I found a small piece of that thread sealing tape on the rag. Voila! Re-installed the sending unit (minor blood loss) and now all is well.
No telling how long this was waiting to happen. The PO obviously used the tape thread sealer when putting the car together, sometime ago. The reason for this epistle is to give everyone a heads-up about using this stuff. I never do. 3M makes a very good gasket sealer, and I just coat threads with that. Works well.

Neil (O+ blood type) Hoppe
In our company we call them "FO"s for, um, 'former owner', yeah that's it, former owner. Couldn't be for anything else!.
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2010, 03:16 PM   #4
admin
Administrator
My Car Details

Just your friendly neighborhood webmaster...

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosesatm View Post
In our company we call them "FO"s for, um, 'former owner', yeah that's it, former owner. Couldn't be for anything else!.
I always thought it was PO as in you're always Pissed Off at the previous owner.

Good tip Neil. I like the thread sealant in a tube myself, although I've seen PO's really glob that stuff in there too!

admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2010, 03:46 PM   #5
JohnnyQuest515
My Car Details

Looking for another GT/CS

3m aka Teflon tape can give you other running nightmares like sealing the fuel fittings.

If a piece comes loose and makes it to the carb, forget about it...

**I watched Johnny Depp in Johnnie Brasco last night and between him and Pachino there was plenty of "forget about it"!

Randy

CSX4853
09'GT500KR
JohnnyQuest515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2010, 04:58 PM   #6
somethingspecial

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Special View Post
...So Neil, did the thread sealing tape clog the sender, or did it affect the electrical ground?

P.S. I'm O+ too. Let me know if you need a pint shipped! I think I have a spare brake fluid container around here somewhere.......
;-)
I don't know Tim, with the age difference between you and Neil, perhaps an "Octain Booster" bottle would be more appropriate. LOL Mike.

Last edited by somethingspecial; 01/21/2010 at 05:52 PM..
somethingspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2010, 06:01 PM   #7
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
Mike's being ugly, and I'm telling Robinett. THEN we'll see who's smiling.

Tim; the tape remnant blocked the tiny inlet hole of the sending unit.

Neil
Old 01/21/2010, 06:14 PM   #8
somethingspecial

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinair View Post
Mike's being ugly, and I'm telling Robinett. THEN we'll see who's smiling.

Tim; the tape remnant blocked the tiny inlet hole of the sending unit.

Neil
Just funning Neil. If you tell Robinette I'll be in the dog house for sure. She likes you to much not to sew my typing fingers together. Mike
somethingspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2010, 06:50 PM   #9
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
I know, friend. Just funnin back atcha!

Neil
Old 01/21/2010, 07:04 PM   #10
Midnight Special
My Car Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingspecial View Post
I don't know Tim, with the age difference between you and Neil, perhaps an "Octain Booster" bottle would be more appropriate. LOL Mike.
...Sounds good Mike, but the closest I have is a "lead additive" bottle. Probably not good either given Neil's affection for flying.

Neil, thanks for the clarification :-)

Tim
Midnight Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2010, 08:26 PM   #11
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
OK, you guys. Don't Make Me Come Out There!!

Neil (100LL) Hoppe
Old 01/22/2010, 05:16 PM   #12
PonyGal
My Car Details

Life is Simple...eat, sleep, drive a Mustang!

Sorry Neil, There's no stopping 'em once they get started! I think you NEED to come out here and deal with them!!! (was that subtle enough of a hint to get you thinking about a visit? )

Renee' - Eat, sleep, drive a Mustang!!!
I am the proud new owner of the 'Stevenson GT/CS'
PonyGal is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions