CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 01/21/2010, 02:38 PM   #1
franklinair
My Car Details
 
franklinair's Avatar
 

Location: Franklin, NC
Joined: Mar 07
Posts: 3,874

My Garage
Thread Sealer Tape

Last week when moving my C/S the oil pressure gage read '0'. I attached a direct reading gage to the adapter that screws into the block, and it read 50PSI so I assumed the sending unit had failed. I grounded the wire at the sending unit and the oil pressure gage went full scale, so I knew the wiring & gage were good.(This is NOT easy to get to with the A/C compressor & P/S pump in place.)
Replaced the sending unit (which also entailed skinned knuckles & bleeding). Cranked the engine and oil pressure gage read mid scale. All was well. When I restarted the engine, again- no oil pressure indication. I removed the new sending unit (minor loss of blood again) and replaced it with another new sending unit. Same thing again. On the first run oil pressure read OK. On restart '0' indication. Removed sending unit again (no loss of blood this time. With the sending unit removed, I cranked the engine a few revolutions (with a rag over the end of the adapter to catch the oil) and I found a small piece of that thread sealing tape on the rag. Voila! Re-installed the sending unit (minor blood loss) and now all is well.
No telling how long this was waiting to happen. The PO obviously used the tape thread sealer when putting the car together, sometime ago. The reason for this epistle is to give everyone a heads-up about using this stuff. I never do. 3M makes a very good gasket sealer, and I just coat threads with that. Works well.

Neil (O+ blood type) Hoppe
franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2010, 02:52 PM   #2
Midnight Special
My Car Details
 
Midnight Special's Avatar
 

Location: Grass Valley, California
Joined: Nov 05
Posts: 3,697

...So Neil, did the thread sealing tape clog the sender, or did it affect the electrical ground?

P.S. I'm O+ too. Let me know if you need a pint shipped! I think I have a spare brake fluid container around here somewhere.......
;-)

Tim
Midnight Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2010, 03:07 PM   #3
Mosesatm
 
Mosesatm's Avatar
 

Location: Spokane, Washington
Joined: Jan 05
Posts: 7,382

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinair View Post
Last week when moving my C/S the oil pressure gage read '0'. I attached a direct reading gage to the adapter that screws into the block, and it read 50PSI so I assumed the sending unit had failed. I grounded the wire at the sending unit and the oil pressure gage went full scale, so I knew the wiring & gage were good.(This is NOT easy to get to with the A/C compressor & P/S pump in place.)
Replaced the sending unit (which also entailed skinned knuckles & bleeding). Cranked the engine and oil pressure gage read mid scale. All was well. When I restarted the engine, again- no oil pressure indication. I removed the new sending unit (minor loss of blood again) and replaced it with another new sending unit. Same thing again. On the first run oil pressure read OK. On restart '0' indication. Removed sending unit again (no loss of blood this time. With the sending unit removed, I cranked the engine a few revolutions (with a rag over the end of the adapter to catch the oil) and I found a small piece of that thread sealing tape on the rag. Voila! Re-installed the sending unit (minor blood loss) and now all is well.
No telling how long this was waiting to happen. The PO obviously used the tape thread sealer when putting the car together, sometime ago. The reason for this epistle is to give everyone a heads-up about using this stuff. I never do. 3M makes a very good gasket sealer, and I just coat threads with that. Works well.

Neil (O+ blood type) Hoppe
In our company we call them "FO"s for, um, 'former owner', yeah that's it, former owner. Couldn't be for anything else!.
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2010, 03:16 PM   #4
admin
Administrator
My Car Details
 
admin's Avatar
 
Just your friendly neighborhood webmaster...

Location: Phoenix, AZ
Joined: Aug 02
Posts: 1,754

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosesatm View Post
In our company we call them "FO"s for, um, 'former owner', yeah that's it, former owner. Couldn't be for anything else!.
I always thought it was PO as in you're always Pissed Off at the previous owner.

Good tip Neil. I like the thread sealant in a tube myself, although I've seen PO's really glob that stuff in there too!

admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2010, 03:46 PM   #5
JohnnyQuest515
My Car Details
 
JohnnyQuest515's Avatar
 
Looking for another GT/CS

Location: Spicewood, Tx.
Joined: Aug 08
Posts: 297

3m aka Teflon tape can give you other running nightmares like sealing the fuel fittings.

If a piece comes loose and makes it to the carb, forget about it...

**I watched Johnny Depp in Johnnie Brasco last night and between him and Pachino there was plenty of "forget about it"!

Randy

CSX4853
09'GT500KR
JohnnyQuest515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2010, 04:58 PM   #6
somethingspecial
 
somethingspecial's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 05
Posts: 1,766

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Special View Post
...So Neil, did the thread sealing tape clog the sender, or did it affect the electrical ground?

P.S. I'm O+ too. Let me know if you need a pint shipped! I think I have a spare brake fluid container around here somewhere.......
;-)
I don't know Tim, with the age difference between you and Neil, perhaps an "Octain Booster" bottle would be more appropriate. LOL Mike.

Last edited by somethingspecial; 01/21/2010 at 05:52 PM..
somethingspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2010, 06:01 PM   #7
franklinair
My Car Details
 
franklinair's Avatar
 

Location: Franklin, NC
Joined: Mar 07
Posts: 3,874

My Garage
Mike's being ugly, and I'm telling Robinett. THEN we'll see who's smiling.

Tim; the tape remnant blocked the tiny inlet hole of the sending unit.

Neil
franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2010, 06:14 PM   #8
somethingspecial
 
somethingspecial's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 05
Posts: 1,766

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinair View Post
Mike's being ugly, and I'm telling Robinett. THEN we'll see who's smiling.

Tim; the tape remnant blocked the tiny inlet hole of the sending unit.

Neil
Just funning Neil. If you tell Robinette I'll be in the dog house for sure. She likes you to much not to sew my typing fingers together. Mike
somethingspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2010, 06:50 PM   #9
franklinair
My Car Details
 
franklinair's Avatar
 

Location: Franklin, NC
Joined: Mar 07
Posts: 3,874

My Garage
I know, friend. Just funnin back atcha!

Neil
franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2010, 07:04 PM   #10
Midnight Special
My Car Details
 
Midnight Special's Avatar
 

Location: Grass Valley, California
Joined: Nov 05
Posts: 3,697

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingspecial View Post
I don't know Tim, with the age difference between you and Neil, perhaps an "Octain Booster" bottle would be more appropriate. LOL Mike.
...Sounds good Mike, but the closest I have is a "lead additive" bottle. Probably not good either given Neil's affection for flying.

Neil, thanks for the clarification :-)

Tim
Midnight Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2010, 08:26 PM   #11
franklinair
My Car Details
 
franklinair's Avatar
 

Location: Franklin, NC
Joined: Mar 07
Posts: 3,874

My Garage
OK, you guys. Don't Make Me Come Out There!!

Neil (100LL) Hoppe
franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2010, 05:16 PM   #12
PonyGal
My Car Details
 
PonyGal's Avatar
 
Life is Simple...eat, sleep, drive a Mustang!

Location: Loomis, Ca
Joined: Dec 06
Posts: 555

Sorry Neil, There's no stopping 'em once they get started! I think you NEED to come out here and deal with them!!! (was that subtle enough of a hint to get you thinking about a visit? )

Renee' - Eat, sleep, drive a Mustang!!!
I am the proud new owner of the 'Stevenson GT/CS'
PonyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2005 Registry Update Thread PNewitt GT/CS and HCS Discussions 236 07/26/2009 09:46 PM
: Carlisle 2009 All Ford Nationals BroadwayBlue GT/CS and HCS Discussions 4 01/14/2009 09:49 AM
: ADMIN - New "prefix" option - Tag your thread as "1966-1968" or "2007+" admin GT/CS and HCS Discussions 6 10/27/2008 04:05 PM
Installing Stripes With Guide Tape PFSlim Paint & Stripes 0 05/31/2006 01:28 PM
Body Sealer - Tubes or cans? nfrntau GT/CS and HCS Discussions 3 04/20/2005 01:46 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.


This site created, owned and maintained by Jon Hanna - Copyright 1996-2011
All rights reserved. CaliforniaSpecial.com is not affiliated with Ford Motor Company

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.