• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Tail light trouble

L8GR868

I know there are a lot of post on here about taillights. But maybe some one can help me fine tune my problem, The car sat for a number of years, I changed the bulbs out and had a hard time getting the old bulbs out. Sprayed the inside to help the springs move inside the socket. Most didn't light up. After changing bulbs when I use the hazards all work properly. Tail lights all work. But when I push on the brake two on the left work and on on the right. I was thinking of changing the tail light pig tails, I think most of the problem might be inside the old sockets which are not in the best of condition. Thank you for any help. Eric

Mosesatm

It may be corrosion or wear on the contacts. Can you remove the bulbs and clean the nubs on the pigtails? Are they worn down?

speedy02

@L8GR868 I would think if all lights work correctly on Hazards and Possibly Left - Right Turn Signal it wouldn't be a taillight ground issue. I would look at the brake switch to see if there is any corrosion in that area on connections. I know you have asked about the LED lights but have you upgraded yet or still running incandescent blubs?

OP
OP
L8GR868

L8GR868

I have installed the LED bulbs. I used some light sand paper to try and clean the inside of the socket and sprayed WD-40 inside the socket and used a small screwdriver trying to move the contacts. I used the test light to try and scratch on the two buttons that make contact. I think some of the sockets have my just be corroded inside. The ground wires that attach to the housing are tight but I have not checked any where else. I cant remember how to get the housing out, do I need to remove the painted tail light panel or can I unscrew it and removing it leaving the painted panel in place?

speedy02

You will have to pull the bumper and tail panel. I found this wiring diagram on the internet and before you pull the rear apart maybe worth looking under the dash. Not only check the brake switch but the fuse box for corrosion. I would go as far as pulling the two screws out of the fuse box and looking on the rear of it for corrosion.

65-brake-lights-jpg.43021

franklinair

Just a thought: The LED bulbs draw a LOT LESS current than the incandescent bulbs.
Try removing all the LEDs and put the incandescent type bulbs, and see if/how they work.
(I'm suspecting a poor connection either + or - in the sockets. Probably the Ground - side.)
This will be an easier test prior to having to remove the tail lite panel.

Neil

OP
OP
L8GR868

L8GR868

Ill try when I get home, thank you for the help, Very much apricated!

Ricky Knapik

My biggest problem was the grounds! fought it for a while. When I finally relocated the grounds and got the sockets grounding properly to the housing, problem free for years.

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Excellent! Thanks for following up with the solution to help the next person.