• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Restoration Plans in the Future

platnumheart666

We are dreaming of doing a full concourse restoration on a GT/CS in the near future and of course, we would like to do as much as possible ourselves.

Does anyone have a recommendation for reference materials or books that we should be looking for?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Annie & Frank

franklinair

Marty Rupp & Mike Jewell are your best sources for concourse info.

Neil

OP
OP
platnumheart666

platnumheart666

Thanks for the resources.

we have never done a resto before and was also looking for a quide to steps that should be taken etc. if anyone has any suggestions.

We may just use a high-end shop for most, but as far as the little stuff and dismantling, research and parts acquisitions etc. We would love to do ourselves.

We already have the one below:

http://www.amazon.com/Restore-Your-...r=8-2&keywords=how+to+restore+your+muscle+car

dalorzo_f

Know of no printed doc that has concours restoration info, in a comprehensive manner.

I'm no expert, jsut a semi-informed enthusiast, but most of the books I have seen (have not seen the one you note) are more "general" guidelines, as specifics of any car are too varied for a one-size-fits-all book.

The details between Mopar, Ford, Chevy, year-to-year and running changes within one manufacturer/make, and even documented plant specific variants of specific issues are just too complex to put in a book about "restoring a car" and need to be more specific. Add o the unique nature of the GT/CS (many items are not standard "Mustang") and its get even more detailed.

A few simple suggestions:

1. Document everything you can. Take a gazillon pictures of anything and everything you can see. Both before disassemble and during disassembly. IMO you can't have "too many" pictures.

2. Ask questions and get multiple answers to confirm before accepting anything as fact. Some items are pretty cut and dried (VIN stamp on he block matched the door/windshield, then its pretty obvious its original). If going concours if you do something wrong its not fun. I have seen many novice restorers base decisions on a single point of input, which can result in well meaning but incorrect info being used... which can be very hard to re-do (personal experience with this long ago taught me this lesson the hard way!).

3. ask more questions.

4. if taking the car to a shop, I would suggest finding one that will let you coming and see progress first hand, whenever you want. Some shops have issues with his for legal/insurance reasons, but of paying them to disassemble they will probably not take the time to document as much as an owner.

5. Same for reassembly / restoration work. Pictures, pictures, pictures.

Good to see you have a interest in the hands on, too many owners use the $ solution and hand off to an "expert" an then take delivery without knowing much about the process or the car. I find the car-cheology to be a big part of the fun of owning/restoring a car like this... it will be a frustrating and sometimes painful process, but keep it in perspective and the end result can be very rewarding.

Last edited:

Ruppstang

Building a concours car can be the most rewarding thing you will ever do, also the most madding thing.
They do not look that much different that any quality restoration but to get the details correct they can easily cost twice as much. The last one we restored the paint and body work cost 29K after the metal work was done.
Join the MCA and you will have access to the judging rules and gold card judges for questions.
They is also much help here on this site. More GTCS information that any where.
Good luck and let us know what you decide.
I will be showing our Concours trailered HCS at the Reno MCA national show June 3-5.
Come by and we can visit. Mike Jewel will be there with his beautiful S code too.
Here is a picture of the HCS.
Marty

Attachments

• 2012 Fall Mustang Pictures 006_crop.jpg
    2012 Fall Mustang Pictures 006_crop.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 27

somethingspecial

always here to help

I would be happy to help you with advise if you need, I am only about 35 miles from you if your moniker address is correct. Email me if you would like. mikej@bigbytes.com. Mike Jewell

J_Speegle

Agree with others there is no book or reference material that will help you do a full restoration. If there was you would likely be warned not to follow it blindly. The hobby and our understanding is constantly learning and discovering new things which keeps it exciting for many of us. There are some decent manuals and books (not many IMHO) to have on hand but would suggest that you double check before you follow the details, use search on the best sites you can find, follow recent threads and if they are aged post and ask if the details are still current or if something new has been discovered and should be followed.

During your research focus on San Jose only cars built around your cars assembly period yes details can vary a little or allot depending on when the car was built.

As finally develop a plan and try and stick with it after you have consider the cost, your abilities and your (and those closely around you) level of frustration as well as challenge your willing to endure.

We are here for you - many have gone here before. We are your support group. Welcome hope we can help

Don

Definitely take advantage of all the help offered here. The biggest thing to watch out for is the classic mistake of over doing it. Factory cars, from that era, were not as perfect as some of the over restored cars and judges will discount points if things like factory overspray patterns are not what they should be. Also if your car was a Friday or Monday build you might want to throw some loose nuts or bolts in the doors before putting on the panels :tongue:

p51

... Also if your car was a Friday or Monday build you might want to throw some loose nuts or bolts in the doors before putting on the panels :tongue:

That made me laugh. Thanks.

OP
OP
platnumheart666

platnumheart666

Thanks for the helpful tips!

We will, for sure, take a lot of pics!
It is nice to know that there are so many knowledgeable folks on this site.

We first wants a guide as to steps of the process from start to finish, so we can draft a plan of attack.

$$$ is always nice, but to get the hands on is priceless and I think will give us the proper bond with our project.

BigJim

Don't throw anything away until the restoration is complete. You never know when you will need to look at something for reference.

OP
OP
platnumheart666

platnumheart666

Do you still have the red cs?

Yes, we do. We have decided to build her as a resto mod (looks of an original but all updated drive components) we just really have the bug to restore one that is all original and one we don't mind sinking our hard earned $$$ into. Hopefully a GT/CS number matching Big block