• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Why not convert my GT/CS to convertible

wallace

This may be a sore subject for purists but.....

Love my Lime Gold GT/CS J Code but have always wanted a convertible Shelby. No way I could afford it!

Thinking of sending my GT/CS off to have it converted with original sheetmetal off donor car. It would include the reinforced rocker panels and floor parts in addition to inside quarter panel parts, top convertible frame, etc. It would be correct as Ford would have done it.

http://www.mustangrestoration.net/ConvertConv.html

I don't want to buy a 6 cylinder and do a GT/CS conversion as this would be more expensive that just converting my GT/CS.

I would add a Shelby Rollbar and Shelby interior rear quarter panels as well.

I don't care what it would do to the value of the GT/CS as I would never sell it. Also I just want what I want! Life seems to short these days.

Thoughts? Be kind but understand my desire. Pic of my GT/CS below.

Attachments

• IMG_2230.jpeg
    IMG_2230.jpeg
    244.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2237.jpg
    IMG_2237.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2530.jpg
    IMG_2530.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 36

speedy02

First I want to say you have a really nice GT/CS.

I see in your attach link that it appears you may have to buy a convertible for support brackets and top. If money wasn't an issue why not buy a good convertible and put a Shelby appears package on it? Not sure if you have to have a 68 but I think making a clone 1967 GT350 convertible would be a great idea. I found the following 67 on facebook that would great to put a Shelby package on. The ad is for OBO and it has been out there for 13 weeks I would hit them with a $number.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...wse_serp:e87b2ec5-5ec8-4427-a48b-fe20f83bf833

rvrtrash

They say it's about $16K for the conversion. If you figure your GT/CS is worth at least $25K-$30K, you're coming up with $41K-$46K to build a $30K car. I've seen convertibles going for $15K-$20K. If it were me and I wanted a "Shelby Convertible" I'd sell the CS, buy a convertible and add the CS/Shelby parts. I think you'd save yourself at least $15K-$20K. Buying the convertible and modifying is only more expensive than modifying your car if you don't figure in the value of selling yours. Of course, if you don't sell yours, that changes the numbers, but then you have two cars as well.

Steve

franklinair

I've been involved in 3 coupe-to-convertible conversions (all 3 1968 models). There are so many intricate differences between the two models, I hope the shop you use is aware of them. The shop's cost to you will be astronomical (very labor-intensive). Been there, done that, doing all the grunt work myself.
Economically, the smart move would be to purchase a '68 convertible and convert it to the Shelby clone. A good donor can be purchased for $25K+/-, versus sacrificing a $40K GT/CS. And of course there's the difference between the 01 versus 03 VIN.
Inner frame rails, inner rear wheel wells, an additional cross member at rear of trunk to name the 3 major parts, not to mention the convertible drip channel (which is not repo'd)in the convertible top well. Lots of cutting & welding (labor-intensive) that drives up the cost to you due to shop labor rates.
I would 'guesstimate' the shop's cost to you would be $40K to $50K to convert your coupe to a convertible. And that's a lowball figure.
A convertible conversion to a Shelby convertible would be about half that much.
And your GT/CS would remain intact, with their values currently on the rise.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Neil

Ruppstang

I agree with those above, sell the GTCS and convert a 68 convertible. Here is a 68 GTCS convertible clone.

Attachments

• GT-CT convertible.jpg
    GT-CT convertible.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
W

wallace

Reply from Mustang Restorations

Just wanted to post the response to my question from "Mustang Restorations."

Hi Wallace.
To answer your questions..
Yes we do quite a few of the Coupe to Convertible conversion's that we call "Coupe to Cool"..
Most customers have us perform this conversion to Mustangs that they have had for quite a while & know are good cars, have gone thru all of the problems & issues associated with getting a Mustang & the only thing they are not satisfied with now is that the top does not go down.
Rather then start all over again with another Mustang that could be a big mess once its purchased they have us make their Mustang a convertible.
This not only includes the underside reinforcements but new floor carpeting, rear seat upholstery, kick panels, scuff plates, rear seat side panels, associated exterior trim & of course a power top mechanism too.
Top colors are the Ford white & black.
We do use some good original parts in the way of side glass & such in the interest of fit because the replace part is just not as nice.
There is actually not much paint work involve.
The section panel in front of the trunk lid, behind the rear window & the quarter panel shoulders would be painted.
We have no problem matching factory colors either.
The underside of the car gets the same reinforcing as Ford did at the factory.
This work all gets done before the roof is removed from the car.
I made a video outlining how this is done.
The link you can click on for the show is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i7bMPhmMHI&list=PL4060C837BF7B6F8D

Lastly the costs have gone up since the video you watched though
The cost is $23,900.. parts, materials & labor.
Time frame is about 8 weeks or so.
Feel free to give me a call to go over the details.
Thank you!

Christopher D. Ingrassia: President, Mustang Restoration's Inc. www.mustangrestoration.net

di81977

I agree with those above, sell the GTCS and convert a 68 convertible. Here is a 68 GTCS convertible clone.

That's my old car. It was in pristine shape when I sold it 9 or 10 years ago. It was built to all the correct cal special specs, Mike even sent me one of his grills and Bob donated the lights and pedestals. Previous owner even added all the factory stamps.

It sold last summer for high $40's. Never even advertised it. In today's crazy market, probably worth at least another $5k.

Really too bad they never made one.

OP
OP
W

wallace

Torque box difference

Neil,

1968 Mustangs have torque boxes from the factory. Are the convertible torque boxes different than those on coupes?

Thanks,
Wallace

franklinair

They're different. Convertibles have an inner frame rail that coupes don't have.

Neil

Restore

FYi all door and quarter glass is different to fit the convertible top as well as the floor seat risers

franklinair

As there is no such thing as a GT/CS convertible, it would be wiser (and cost-effective) to find a decent '68 convertible and add the necessary body components to achieve the GT/CS appearance.

Neil