• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Script

franklinair

My red GT/CS has the original flat surface script but is pock-marked. Will re-chroming correct this?
Also, who would you suggest for re-chroming? (I've had no experience with chrome shops.)

Neil

Attachments

• SCRIPT.jpg
    SCRIPT.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 40

Restore

Yes and no. A good shop can do it. Yes they can grind the pock out(depends how deep) and triple plate . No they wont take risk of braking it. 20 years ago I found a place that did for me(now out of business). But signed a waiver if it broke I was out of luck. Chrome shops are much fewer today and expensive. good luck

Restore

I know of two places that do good work on west coast Sherm's Plating in Sacramento, Ca and in theeast Advance Plating in Tennessee. Cant really vouch for them anymore since it been like 10 years but still good rep

robert campbell

Dad,
These guys are the best in the business! They plate for Kenworth and I think Peterbuilt. They did restoration for me of original 1956 T-Bird script and other parts. Because of the large volume of work they do for the truck companies they have the cleanest chrome tanks in the business. Yet they also support the little projects with the same quality.

Been in the biz since 1915. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for....

Rob

Mosesatm

Neil,
I just saw this one for sale in Spokane. Looks like it just needs some polishing. I can take a look at it for you if you're interested. He's asking $50 for it.

Attachments

• Special Emblem 1.jpg
    Special Emblem 1.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 29
  • Special Emblem 2.jpg
    Special Emblem 2.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 24

CougarCJ

I am pretty sure that ACSCO was, and is still the original manufacturer of those emblems.

robert campbell

Dad,
Being this is an early car with recessed reflectors I would go the extra mile to restore the originals. The early scripts IMO are a lot different than the repops or later Ford over the counter replacements.

After all of the research I have experienced over the last 30 years, I would have preserved my GNS/GT/CS to its original condition. I even had the VIN numbers matching block, but it had a cracked bulkhead. It could have been saved.

I think this Neil build deserves the original scripts. Another intricacy of our GT/CS hobby that few people know about.

There is an ad in our classifieds that Arlie posted with what may be some original scripts. I would scoop them up if I still had a GT/CS!

Rob

Mosesatm

Neil,
If you haven’t already done so you may want to explore chrome powder coating. There is a YouTube site called Chip Channel Restorations where the restorer uses it all the time. It looks good.