• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Woodgrain frustration

franklinair

I'm having a devil of a time trying to apply the woodgrain applique' on the factory A/C Control Panel. They just aren't cut correctly to fit properly on the panel. I've purchased 2 different manufacturer sets, 2 from MONTCOM, and 2 from REPOPS. Neither one fits worth a hoot. :-(
Called Scott Drake, they don't make them anymore :-(
I guess I'll have to sit down with an eyeloop & Exacto knife and try to custom cut one.
The rest of the dash is coming along nicely: painted (Nugget Gold), A/C components inside the dash are all sealed & tight, A/C Control Switch is repaired (thanks to Dalorzo).
Found the reason for the rusty floorpan- the A.C evaporator drain hose was missing. Today I ordered the compressor conversion kit from Classic Air to upgrade & convert to R-134 freon.
Onward & upward!

Neil

Mosesatm

Neil,
I found that cutting down a ceiling console woodgrain piece works well.

Ruppstang

Neil did you know the original conrtol panels were not wood grain but painted brown to match. I see if I have and of the pictures of the one I restored for my HCS. Marty

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Arlie, With 4 sets of applique's, I've got LOTS of material to use.

Marty, That would save me a VERY TEDIOUS job. AND it would be correct??

Neil

Ruppstang

Arlie, With 4 sets of applique's, I've got LOTS of material to use.

Marty, That would save me a VERY TEDIOUS job. AND it would be correct??

Neil

Neil I just got back from the shop, I got a picture of the HCS panel that I restored. It is still a bit of a tedious job masking off the black indents but that is how ford did it. A Ace brand satin brown spray bomb is close to perfect match to the brown that Ford used. I can get the #s off the can tomorrow. Marty

Attachments

• 68 Deluxe AC-Heater control 001.JPG
    68 Deluxe AC-Heater control 001.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 68

J.Bart

ya know 3m came out this last year with vinyl that has simulated wood grain.
me and amy seen it at sema 2010 last year.
my tint and stripe guy has some samples now.
there are atleast two different patterns or shades
i don't know if they match up to he original at all though.

Ruppstang

Hi Neil,
Are you winning the battle today? I just declared victory over drivers door window instalation and adjustments.
The paint you need is ACE Rust Stop leather brown satin #1197060. I wish I could just give you this can but I think is would cost more to ship than to buy. I did not use much to paint my panel. Marty

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Excellent :)
I'll pick some up on Friday. I'll post a photo when done. Many thanks.

Neil