• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Vin # on engine block

dalorzo_f

I have seen that stamp, think its a date, not sure if it is the manufacturing date or what.... I have a similar one, don't recall what is it and the engine is at the shop... will check it tomorrow...

stangfan

My block is similar. No vin#, so I know it is not the original :sad:

The stamping on the area below the intake at the back is 8K13 76. I know that decodes to Oct13/68. Don't know what the 76 means though.

jochlela

I checked all the paperwork that came with the car and there is a Ford engine warranty card dated 17 Feb 98 and a services invoice with C5OZ-6012-AX Fold long block on it from a Ford dealer.

In September I travelled to US and caught up with Steve from Seattle whom I purchased the CS from. Great guy who picked my family and myself up in a 50's Buick and took us to the Lemay car musuem in Maryland where hi is volunteer tour guide. Amazing car collection and nice play to wander around.

Steve said the previous owner was not happy with the engine and did a new Ford engine replacement. Steve wasn't sure if the old 289 was replaced with 289 or 302. The warranty card states 289 so hopefully that is correct.

Tim_morrison82

the stamp near #1 cyl is the engine buid completion date. its usually a date code folled by a shift number, ot similar after.

mine is 7L13 A if I recall correctly.

if you dont have the flat section as shown previously, you may have an actual 289 block. in 68 they used them all up and any extra 289's have 302 blocks. I have seen feb C codes with both 289 and 302 blocks.
if the stamp is near the back, it could be a partial vin from tge Kansas plant in 68 off a maverick, with a few numbers missing of badly stamped... 8k13 would be well into the 69 production year making a 289 block very unlikely. but if its 8k as a partial vin, tge engine could be anywhere from mid 67 to early 68.

have look for tge engine build date. it should help in this instance. beside of slightly under tge head at cylinder 1.

sportyworty

The engine assembly stamp date is followed by the assemblers last name initial not shift Tim. 8c17A example
Kerry

68sunlitgold

John,
the picture you show is of the front of the engine, the stamp is on the BACK of the engine near the fire wall just above where the bell housing from the transmission is bolted to the block.

Doug