• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Tire and wheels original sizes and potential options

gtcs1

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for help to undestand the various types of wheels and tires available from factory (std and options) for our GT/CS.

What are the various wheels types & dimensions, depending on engine size (may not be), and tire sizes (full number), brand and model , white walls or not, etc?

For example on my car, I've got Fomoco steel wheels of 14 X 6, with still the original spare; Firestone Wide-O-Oval , Polyester Cord, Deluxe Champion, white walls, size of F70-14 tubeless

In my case, I'm trying to procure a set of 4 tires to replace mine (I've got aftermarket regulat tires). I'll see what's available on the market.

If I can collect a good set of info in this thread, I'll also put the result in a table in the restoration reference section afterward. May be some of that exist somwewhere, but haven't found it. But I thought there is here a large crowd of enthusiast/experts here that should know a lot.

Thanks for your help.
Pierre gtcs1

OP
OP
G

gtcs1

Here's a repop from Coker Tire.
http://www.cokertire.com/brands/firestone-1/f70-14-firestone-wide-oval-rwl.html

A modern equivalent size would be exactly between 215/70/14 and 225/70/14. I prefer the 215, for less sidewall height.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the link.

In looking thru many Marti's, I see the F70-14 Wide Oval a common option tire for most engine, which tire was also an option on my car.

But the one shown on Coker has a different script for the characters, linked to the Sup-R-Belt model, instead of the "deluxe champion" model like mine. Mine on my spare is more roundish characters. Is there a closer repro tire made with that script instead?

Thanks gtcs1