• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Timing chain suggestions

68 special

Well, One of my winter projects of replacing the water pump went farther south,:(:(..

One of the bolts was froze up, so sprayed it with penetrating oil for a few days , went back to remove it and "snap", about 2" of bolt and no threads.

Ok, removed the timing cover, bought a stud extractor after countless attempts with vise grips. Now it's broke off flush with the block. Time to get out the drill...

While I'm trying to figure that out, I give the timing chain a look and take some measurements and the chain deflects about 5/8" measured from a reference point on the block. Should only defect about 1/2"..

So,what timing sets has anyone used??? I found this thru CJ Pony and looks interesting. It looks like it is "chainless"..

http://www.cjponyparts.com/comp-cams-gear-drive-289-302-351w/p/4120/

Any thoughts???

Bret

CougarCJ

That is called a "gear drive", they add a distinct sound to the engine. Some like it, I don't particularly care for the whirring sound.

I would get a true roller timing chain, NAPA sells them.

dalorzo_f

IMHO for the ricer crowd..

Common anti-gear comments: sound funny and have hear anecdotal info they suck a bit more power as the gears have friction, some say yes, some no.

Common pro comments: Sound cool, more accurate timing, no chain stretch, less likely to jump a tooth...

Coke vs. Pepsi