• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 There's always something!! Starter probs!

mbsf1970

Just a few days ago, my car started exhibiting a weird klunking sound upon attempted startup---it seems to be doing it more frequently now. Here's what's going on:

from the accessories. position, you turn the the key the final way to the spring loaded part that starts car. Once fired, you let go of key and it returns to access. position. When I turn my key to start, there's nothing and when I let go of key and it returns to access. position, it lets out a "klunk" sound then nothing. I can repeat 2-3 times and then eventually, when I turn the key to start position it fires up. My starter going??

Stephen

dalorzo_f

A few possibilites,

- Battery not fully charged, not enough "ooomph" to throw starter to engage
- Bad soleniod
- bad grounds or connections between battery and starter
- Worn starter gear or teeth on flywheel resulting in jamming

or, what heppened to me recently, a piece of an old starter in the housing rolling around and once in a while being in a position to jam the starter by getting caught between starter teeth and gear.

franklinair

I'd be looking at the starter, Bendix drive, or fly wheel teeth. The "clunk" sound tells me that the starter is attempting to engage.

Neil

OP
OP
M

mbsf1970

Why (if starter was attempting to engage) would it be silent upon turning key and THEN klunk when key is released??

franklinair

When the key is released, power is removed from the solenoid & starter...Klunk.
Now if you had a clicking or ticking noise, I'd suspect the solenoid.

Neil

OP
OP
M

mbsf1970

Appears to be the alternator. its not recharging battery fully so the batt is pretty low every time I try to start it.
Gonna start with alt and then maybe the starter if it doesn't remedy prob.

dalorzo_f

Be sure its not just a bad battery befroe tearing apart the rest of the cahrging system. Voltage regualtor is another common cuplrit to test...