• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Taking apart my car, need some Help please!

68 special

When I painted my engine compartment, I just wrapped all the wiring harnesses and brake lines with tin foil. It's cheap and easy to remove. That's how we spray paint or spray corrosion inhibiting compund (CIC) on Boeing airplanes where wiring is in the way.

Bret

OP
OP
davidathans

davidathans

When I painted my engine compartment, I just wrapped all the wiring harnesses and brake lines with tin foil. It's cheap and easy to remove. That's how we spray paint or spray corrosion inhibiting compund (CIC) on Boeing airplanes where wiring is in the way.

Bret

Thanks for the idea Bret. I got the wiring out (i was trying to push the grommet through in the wrong direction, rookie mistake). I also got out the vacuum brake booster, turns out i just had to take a cotter pin off the lever. My next problem is removing the gas pedal from the lever. Its just a #2 phillips screw but that thing is really stuck on there! Probably has never ever been taken off for 42 years!

Last edited:
OP
OP
davidathans

davidathans

Here's what my engine compartment looks like now. Just need to get the gas pedal lever/linkage out and the stock steering components. Then i need to sand it down and mask it off and buy the paint!

Thanks for everyone's help

Attachments

• IMG_1936.jpg
    IMG_1936.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1937.jpg
    IMG_1937.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1938.jpg
    IMG_1938.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1939.jpg
    IMG_1939.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 32

Doug

Dave - I am getting tired looking at your photos. Keep them coming.

You need a rest and a beer. Since I live in Valencia (and if you want) send me a private email with your address and I'll drop a 6 pack or 2 off.

Are you going to the Mustang show this Sunday at the Airtel?

Doug

dalorzo_f

Those pedal screws do stay put! I ended up using a pair of vise grips to get my two off... no way I could get enough torque with a screwdriver... they were really, really, really, really hard to get out....

di81977

Perfect time for a Mustang II conversion. That will give you lots of room for a nice all aluminum 427!

OP
OP
davidathans

davidathans

Dave - I am getting tired looking at your photos. Keep them coming.

You need a rest and a beer. Since I live in Valencia (and if you want) send me a private email with your address and I'll drop a 6 pack or 2 off.

Are you going to the Mustang show this Sunday at the Airtel?

Doug

will take you up on that six pack sometime Doug, sundays i'm pretty busy. what time is the show today?