• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Taillight housing restoration

dalorzo_f

In the GT/CS book it notes these were chrome plated. In looking at a pair I'm working on (Shelby, second set to play with before disassembling the GT/CS) it sure looks sprayed on to me...

On mine its pretty evident that there was a mask, as the edge outside the lamp housings areas has overspray on one side. Inside the buckets once the bulb sockets were tapped out a bare ring is obvious around the hole. I think probably masked to keep the spray off the contact area to the socket and interfering with grounding...

Wondering if the consensus is chrome or paint? I'm leaning towards some kind of paint and the note in the book is incorrect...??? (as steel wool removes it, its real soft chrome!)

Last edited:

robert campbell

see Batgirl post. I think they were just like your instrument cluster plastic chrome plate. Wears out over the years. I used chrome paint on mine. I bet there are better options these days if you have the bucks!!

Rob

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

I'm leaning to chrome paint, the VHT Expoxy I have is a very good finish. Was more a curiosty question.

I don't think its the vacuum deposition process as that does the whole part, this is masked, does not make sense to mask and then cover the masking with chrome to throw away? As the vacuum deposition process covers everything, as the dash clusters and other pieces show, chrome on the backside, none on the rest of the taillight housing...

I'm going paint, the comment was more about chrome in the book, which I don't beleive it is...

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

VHT Expoxy Chrome Paint SP-525-1A

Before

CIMG0186.jpg

Pre-paint prep, media blasted (I did find black paint was used under the original "chrome" maybe a predecessor of today's Alsa type chrome paints which also require black as a base?)

CIMG0213Medium.jpg

Now

CIMG0231Medium.jpg

... and my helper...

:smile:

CIMG0229Medium.jpg