• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Tail Panel Markings and Fabrication Detail

dalorzo_f

Took apart the rear panel today. Found this.

CIMG0665Medium.jpg

GT/CS #3311???

And all the pigtails for the lamps were folded over and taped.

CIMG0661Medium.jpg

Factory or PO???

Ruppstang

The taped pigtails were done in the factory. 3311 I am sure was a factory mark all though I do not know what it means. It might be a inspection number. Jeff S. may be able to shed some light on the number. I see yours has the sealent, I guess some did and some did'nt. Marty

J_Speegle

The taped pigtails were done in the factory. 3311 I am sure was a factory mark all though I do not know what it means. It might be a inspection number. Jeff S. may be able to shed some light on the number.

Number is too high (too many digits) for a plant rotation number - maybe the guy messed up and added an extra 3 or 1 :(
If the car is original - you might want to check for one of the rotation number from the car and see what matches if anything

I see yours has the sealent, I guess some did and some did'nt. Marty

Ours did also ;)

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

??? Wrecking yard...

It's a one family car before me. It has been resprayed, poorly, but all the parts seem to line up as a fairly original car...

I looked at "the book", my VIN falls about 80% of the way thru the list...4118 *.8 = 3294, not far off 3311... not scientific, maybe just an odd coincidence.... not sure if Ford marked these in a sequential order or not...anyone else found a similar number on theirs??

Last edited:

Mosesatm

Sorry, I didn't realize you are not familiar with wrecking yards. They are amazing places where people (even original owners) purchase used parts.

Since the parts are original and from the factory they normally fit properly and if the parts come from cars that are the same color as the car in which they are installed it's almost impossible to tell if the parts in question are original to the car or from a wrecking yard.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

Duh. Very informative.

Point is, the part appears original to the car... as pointed out above, "3311 I am sure was a factory mark all though I do not know what it means. "

So even if from a yard, it still doesn't explain the meaning of the factory mark. :wink: