• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Tail light area cardboard filler

gtcs1

Hi,

My 2 cardboards fillers used to cover up taillight housing area are a bit bent due to years of usage and I guess loose stuff in the trunk bouncing on it.

Is there any way to restore them. I want to keep them as original. Can it be moistened, formed back to shape, apply heat, etc.... Anyone experienced that?

Thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gtcs1

I know this doesnt answer your question- but just in case - Tony Branda sells replacements. Casey

Hi Casey,

I've seen them. They don't seem the exact blueish color. Also as said, I would much prefer to keep these original items, just improving their look by some restoration, even if it is not perfect.

Thanks
gtcs1

nfrntau

How does one go about installing the replacements without creasing them? I have a set of the replacements to put in my car but I don't have any idea??

I apologize for stealing your thread but this seems like a good time for this question.

Northern Pony

Thanks for the post nfrntau, and hopefully someone will answer for us. I've had mine for two + years and never installed because I didn't want to damage them on installation. A friend with 68 Shelby said he damaged a couple of sets trying to get them in correctly. Not a big $ item, but I only want them in, if there going to look good and enhance the trunk interior.
BoB

GTCSMustang

The blueish/gray color comes from them being painted. The repos come unpainted, but to be 100% correct they need to be painted on the side visible when installed. I have formed them by spraying them with water and wrapping them around something of about 12-inch diameter. A 1940's vintage practice bomb worked well for me. I put about a million rubber bands around them to hold them to the shape of the practice bomb and let them dry. That will give them enough of a bend that they can be installed without creasing.

Scott

hicountrybob

Thanks for the post nfrntau, and hopefully someone will answer for us. I've had mine for two + years and never installed because I didn't want to damage them on installation. A friend with 68 Shelby said he damaged a couple of sets trying to get them in correctly. Not a big $ item, but I only want them in, if there going to look good and enhance the trunk interior.
BoB

OK, guys. ironically, I've just finished preparing 1 of my panels for installation and the 2nd one is in my homemade jig as I speak. What I did on a 36" by 30" piece of plywood was screw a long piece of 1 by 2 on it. With another 1 by 2, I screwed it down 11 and 3/4" away from it. I wet both sides the cardboard with a wet (not damp) sponge and forced the panel between them(if 11 and 3/4" is scares you open the space some). Then when the board dried, I moved the spacing down to 10 and 1/4 inches, wet the board again, both sides, and put it back in the jig. Along the bottom of the board you'll see the 2 BEND GUIDE LINES. Those were shaped to a 90 degree right when I removed the board from the jig. Bingo, done. HC Bob Teets here.

robert campbell

Up hear in Washington we would wrap them arund a 12 inch drain culvert and wait for Spring.... If the sun ever comes out again... We have been hammered with rain.

Rob

joedls

Up hear in Washington we would wrap them arund a 12 inch drain culvert and wait for Spring.... If the sun ever comes out again... We have been hammered with rain.

Rob

That's a big "IF". One year I lived in Washington it rained every day for over 100 days in a row. That was really hard on this sun worshipper. :cool:

Northern Pony

Thanks for all the good advice and help, that's exactly what I needed. I think I will go with Bob's expert advice as I currently have no vintage practice bomb. The 12" drain culvert might work, but it's so damn cold and dry up here, I would have to wait for spring to get started. No slight intended here HC Bob, but I will sign off as North Country Bob here.

nfrntau

I'll have to go with Bob's jig also as I'm a little concerned with getting my vintage practice bomb wet.
Thanks Y'all

somethingspecial

OK, Why is it GT/CS owners have vintage practice bombs. I also have one, and so does Midnight Special. Is this some sort of phenomenon that we are just discovering. This is more than just a coincedence. Come clean, who else has them. Don't mean to hi jack this thread. Just curious. Mike

Last edited:

BroadwayBlue

How does one go about installing the replacements without creasing them? I have a set of the replacements to put in my car but I don't have any idea??

I apologize for stealing your thread but this seems like a good time for this question.

I creased mine when I bought them and they went up on the shelf where they're still sitting. Someday I'll try again.

There is a thread on here somewhere about using a hair dryer or something I think.

I'll see if I can find the thread...

OP
OP
G

gtcs1

I creased mine when I bought them and they went up on the shelf where they're still sitting. Someday I'll try again.

There is a thread on here somewhere about using a hair dryer or something I think.

I'll see if I can find the thread...

Past threads are always great source of info. Here are 3 on this topic of how to bend them.

I guess as far as my original question on how to repair the creases in them, I'm planning to do something similar, moist them with spray, hold them in a rightly contoured shape, let it dry, just hope if will take back its shape, with creases line that will kind of dissapear. Any thoughts on this procedure or am I waisting my time??

http://www.californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3691&highlight=cardboard

http://www.californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2770&highlight=cardboard

http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1911

68sunlitgold

When I was stationed in Korea, I was in charge of all the air to surface bombing/straffing ranges, so I have a couple of BDU-33's (practise dumb bombs) packed away somewhere.