• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Sway bar bushing qn

Tequila

Sorry to bother you 'all with this. I am trying to reinstall 1" sway bar with new bushings and end links. I am on my 2nd set of bushings and not sure if I still got the right one. I remember the old one sitting very flush against the frame but the new one has a lot of gap between the rubber and frame. Unfortunately I didn't keep the old ones to compare so I am trying to figure out if I have the right bushings. I haven't tightened the bolts completely to see what it would do, but think I may have the wrong bushings.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Attachments

• must bushing.jpeg
    must bushing.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 30

CougarCJ

From the picture, it looks like your bushing isn't the correct size for a 1 inch bar, to fit a period Ford. The sway bar clamps should fit flush when installed, no gaps.

robert campbell

Just did this on two cars. It appears that you have a smaller (non-GT) bushing that you are putting around your large sway bar. They are taller and narrower front to aft.

The Mustang sway bar bushing comes in a lot of sizes, so it is important that you know the diameter of your sway bar. Sounds easy, but not so fast.

Mustangs Plus sells bushings in the following diameters: 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, 13/16, 7/8, 15/16, and 1 inch. Make sure you measure at the spot the busing goes around the sway bar. They sell Grab A Track brands and they come with a nice beefy bracket. That also helps you get the correct install.

See link below and you will see the small OE style (tall and narrow) one at the end.

http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/Mustang-End-Links/

OP
OP
T

Tequila

Thanks Rob. Appreciate the info. I was using the 15/16 Narrow thinking that it would be the same as 1". I will re-measure and make sure I get the correct one this time.

OP
OP
T

Tequila

Hi Rob,
I finally got the Grab A Trak 15/16 bushing kit and it fit perfectly on the straight portion of the sway bar. However it is not lining up properly in the area where these brackets attach to the frame. I even connected the end links to make sure it wasn't off on one side but still doesn't seem to align properly in the mounting area. Since these bushings are wider than the originals could it be overlapping where the bend is?

Do you know if these brackets/bushings are supposed to work with the original sway bars? Or are they meant for the after market sway bars? I had the original sway bar stripped and powder coded so I hate to throw it away. I am assuming mine were the originals, not 100% sure. Can I use my original bracket with these wider bushings?

Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• grabtrak.jpeg
    grabtrak.jpeg
    161.2 KB · Views: 27

robert campbell

If I am doing both the end links and the sway bar bushings at the same time, I attach the end links to the lower control arms and tighten them a bit, but not to full squeeze. I use a little grease on the sway bar where the bushings attach. In my experience the sway bar bushings try to twist a bit and I use a medium Philips screw drive as a drift to align the steel brackets to the holes in the car. Once the bolts are in tighten them up and the bracket and bushing seem to "find their home".

As long as the bracket stays inside of the bushing edges, all should tighten right up and find their home. These bushing are designed for original equipment sway bars. Don't forget to tighten up the end links if they are loose!!!

Rob

OP
OP
T

Tequila

Rob,
Thanks for letting us in on your "trade" secret!!! :smile:

Appreciate the info. I will mess with it tonight.