• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Specialty Wheel

Midnight Special

Thanks Arlie.

Believe it or not; I had a new 14x7 Styled Steel fail on a big block CS (rt. front). Almost catastrophic - it developed a hairline fracture about 80% the way around the inside weld. 'Long story (and some $$ on new bearings, calipers and rotors) before I found it, but fortunately; the nagging "clunk" when making left turns persisted until I did. The tire shop guy said he's heard of a number of those defective... FYI - beware.

Midnight Special

Tim... you got this wheel from Specialty?

...No no - not sayin' that! I'm sorry.

This was an aftermarket styled steel that was on this car when I bought it.
I will find out where it came from and post here along w/ photo of the defect.

Who else makes these?

Attachments

• 0550.jpg
    0550.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

BroadwayBlue

Tim,
Those look very similar to the wheels that were on my 289 when I bought it. Previous owner got them off eBay I think.

Paid a pretty penny from what I recall.

Midnight Special

Tim,
Those look very similar to the wheels that were on my 289 when I bought it. Previous owner got them off eBay I think.

Paid a pretty penny from what I recall.

...Still investigating these Rich. This car underwent a complete rebuild in '05 & I'm looking over a detailed file of receipts & work orders. Nothing on where the rims came from, so I may call & inquire... They appear as spotless & new as everything else on this car. It's really a beautiful job and very well put together! 'Got me my first big award :) I was suprized at the failure as it was never abused...

Attachments

• 0539.jpg
    0539.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 0543.jpg
    0543.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 0549.jpg
    0549.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 29
  • t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 35

BroadwayBlue

There is no outer ring on them right?
I did see them for sale someplace. It might have been Virginia Mustang but not sure right now.

The only thing we noticed on mine is that the wrong lug nuts were put on and started to cause some wear on the wheels, so switched them to the correct style right away.

Midnight Special

...No outer ring and lug nuts appear fine.

Happened like this:
After a few days of casual driving - 'heard a soft clunking noise on rt. side in left turns. Suspected chaffing on caliper or upper arm - pulled wheel & saw no evidence. 'Inspected an re-adjusted wheel bearings. 'Seemed better for awhile, then got worse... pulled the wheel again, checked all suspension parts, fasteners et-al, then replaced brakes, calipers, rotors and bearings...
Nada!... I then rotated the two front tires. Okay, now it's on the left side!

"Must be a bad tire!" 'Took it to get replaced when they found a hairline crack almost 80% around the inside weld. I needed a magnifying glass to see it. All this was on the eve of Don coming to town to drive the car to the August BBQ...

I sent an e-mail to find out where these particular units came from. Hopefully, should any of you have simular symptoms - check your wheels first and avoid all the speculative expense, or worse - catastrophic failure.

68gt390

Wow!! Glad it didn't end up being something serious or happening on the highway.

I'll definitely keep it in mind. Thanks!

Rich;
I totally agree with you since I drove the car while in California back in August as Tim stated. Would not have been fun being scrapped off the pavement with a broom and a shovel!!!!!!

Don :eek:

Tim;
There used to be a company (Wheels Vintiques) that sold similar rims that I was looking at at one time. I know they discontinued carry them not to long ago. Jegs carried the rims. I'll see if I can find my web address for them and post it here.

Don

Midnight Special

Rich;
I totally agree with you since I drove the car while in California back in August as Tim stated. Would not have been fun being scrapped off the pavement with a broom and a shovel!!!!!!

Don

Amen Don ;-) 'Took every measure to guarantee that you had a safe ride with front wheels that would not break loose! The rear wheels were another matter ;-))

I have driven that car most of this week & have been having the time of my life ;-) Unfortunately, it snowed here last night, so I didn't get to bring it to work (instead, got called in @ 3 a.m. to plow the parking lot).

Residual adrenelin got the best of me though, I just couldn't help myself ;-(

Attachments

• DSC_0348.jpg
    DSC_0348.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC_0347.jpg
    DSC_0347.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC_0350.jpg
    DSC_0350.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 26

68gt390

Tim;
Below is the web address for Wheel Vintiques. As I posted earlier they used to carry what they called a "53 series GT Rayllye Steel Wheel" all chrome that looked identical to our 68 Styled Steel GT chrome rim from the factory. I'm not sure why they stopped selling them. It might be possible your rims came from them.

http://www.wheelvintiques.com/

Don

Midnight Special

...Thanks Don. I hope to find out by Wednesday where mine came from. I didn't want to divert from Arlie's thread as such, but thought it important to mention this occurrence. These old cars develop periodic squeaks & clunks (aside from front suspensions behaving as a berometer;-) that I may have ignored to peril in the past. Tho obviously rare - it is another thing to watch out for... I'm learning to listen to alot more than what reverb's from the tailpipes.

Last edited: