• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Seeking advice on price...

Midnight Special

...for this one-owner fully documented J-code in Nevada City, CA. The owner is considering selling because he hasn't driven it much and has used its former garage for personal storage for some time. He bought it new in Grass Valley in April of '68. Total mileage is 117K with complete engine overhaul three years ago and less than 500 miles since... The vinyl top is shot, but roof integrity good w/ some surface rust. The headliner is falling apart from heat damage, but roof insulation is perfect. The driver's seat has some tears and some fading of the instrument cluster chrome, otherwise the interior is excellent. The console was removed for a former 8-track and CB radio installation, but is intact and ready to install. All glass and chrome trim is perfect and original with no pitting. On the outside, the car has a few very minor dings (what he calls "wife damage") with no rust. The underside has only minor surface rust in few places. Power steering pump and ram are original and work perfect, although the front suspension should be repaired w/ new ball joints, springs and bushings... There is no accident damage of any kind, grille is perfect & original. The red tail light lenses have cracks & will need replacing (caused by bumper mounted CB antenna.) All in all - VERY complete with Autolite carb, power front discs and AM radio. He also has the original rims with hubcaps which he replaced with styled steel wheels (shown) included. The 302 has lots of power, idles & runs smooth, drives & shifts excellent and no smoke.

VIN# is 8R01J156149 and documentation includes original window sticker, all registrations since new, all manuals and maintenance records and all receipts for service & repairs.

Please look at all the photos and give us your opinion of what it might fetch in today's market. Aside from engine rebuild, it's all original and never restored...

Attachments

• DSC_0334.jpg
    DSC_0334.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC_0313.jpg
    DSC_0313.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC_0314.jpg
    DSC_0314.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC_0324.jpg
    DSC_0324.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC_0318.jpg
    DSC_0318.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_0331.jpg
    DSC_0331.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_0332.jpg
    DSC_0332.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC_0333.jpg
    DSC_0333.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

...Engine and underside...

Attachments

• DSC_0317.jpg
    DSC_0317.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC_0315.jpg
    DSC_0315.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC_0308.jpg
    DSC_0308.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_0310.jpg
    DSC_0310.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC_0322.jpg
    DSC_0322.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC_0307.jpg
    DSC_0307.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC_0306.jpg
    DSC_0306.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_0305.jpg
    DSC_0305.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

...few more... Please feel free to ask any questions :)

Thank you!

Attachments

• DSC_0328.jpg
    DSC_0328.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC_0330.jpg
    DSC_0330.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC_0327.jpg
    DSC_0327.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC_0326.jpg
    DSC_0326.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC_0325.jpg
    DSC_0325.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC_0323.jpg
    DSC_0323.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC_0320.jpg
    DSC_0320.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_0319.jpg
    DSC_0319.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 23

GTCSMustang

"Aside from engine rebuild, it's all original and never restored..."

What happened to the side stripes?

Scott

franklinair

I agree. I guesstimate about $7K conservatively in repairs/upgrading (not counting labor and/or paintwork)
As a reference, the '68 converible I just finished (that did not require paint or top) cost $10K to bring to 'excellent' condition- not concourse.

Neil

Last edited:
OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

...Thank you gentlemen and keep the comments coming. Scott, I will ask about the stripes. He has no computer and not overly familiar with e-bay. I will also give you his phone # if you're interested. He contacted me to see if I would buy it, but no room... so I said I would get as realistic of an opinion on value as possible. You guys are it! Thank you for your time!

di81977

I agree, $7K, but who really knows in this market. I have also found, through first hand experience, you will spend a lot more than you think you will on refurbishment costs. I am becoming a believer in buying cars that someone else has sunk a bunch of money into.

Now is a great time to buy, that is for sure. There are a ton of great deals out there. My wife gets nervous every time I get on Craigslist.

Tim, do you have a new garage in your future also?

GTCSMustang

Tim,

Here's your solution for storage. Had these installed this week and one more coming next week.

Let me know what you find out about the side stripes. My first thought would be that it's been repainted, but you said it's all orig. Maybe he took them off.

Scott

Attachments

• DSC00201.JPG
    DSC00201.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 56

somethingspecial

Tim,

Here's your solution for storage. Had these installed this week and one more coming next week.

Let me know what you find out about the side stripes. My first thought would be that it's been repainted, but you said it's all orig. Maybe he took them off.

Scott

This car was repainted several years ago. He told me side stripes were not available when he had the car painted. Mike

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

Tim,

Scott

Nice presentation Scott! Indeed, a "rack" as that full of GT/CSs would be something, but what you have very impressive :)

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

...I just spoke with Terry the owner who said the car was repainted about 15 years ago because it was fading. He didn't think about adding the stripes at the time. He also said the engine rebuild was because it had ingested a screw though the carburetor after a tune up. At any rate - I read to him your feedback from this thread and he was most appreciative. Please feel free to call him at (530) 265-2684 if you are interested or can maybe help find a buyer. He's a most personable guy to talk to :) With no computor, he'll likely try selling through classified ads as well.

Anything to help a GT/CS find a great home :)

Thank you!