• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Sad news about my mutt

mbsf1970

Transmission is about to go back into car so before it does I went to shop to check VIN......turns out its not original to the car :(

It is a '68 Ford tranny but not the one that left the assembly line with my car.
It read 8H13093. So, if anyone comes across old 142562 lmk lol!
Couldn't read last digit.

So, my car is officially a Mutt. It has original engine with period correct but not original transmission. Oh well, it runs and is still on the road!!

Stephen

franklinair

Not a big deal IMHO. After nearly 50 years, period correct carries a lot of weight. And the engine IS #'s matching. Count your blessings.

Neil

OP
OP
M

mbsf1970

I Do Neil....its like having a piece of cake with ice cream on side but no whipped cream!!

I feel lucky to have such a nice car in my name.....it falls under the "it would have been nice" category that's all!

Stephen

dalorzo_f

Well, I'd say as a GT/CS it has the whipped cream, the lack of a VIN on a correct c4 is like missing the cherry or a sprinkle of nuts...:wink:

Here in Australia a cobbled together collection of billet bling and after market go fast parts is seen by most as more desirable than a really original car.

I am looking to sell my C code GT/CS; original VIN stamped engine (complete and OEM air cleaner to pan) and trans, OEM rear w/tag, etc. RF fender replaced (70s FoMoCo service part dated mid 72, early owner error) and typical repro bumpers, but other than that a fairly unmolested car.... Most here go "meh.. its a weenie 2 barrel with drum brakes" and dismiss it. Many here just want a car that has the basic shape of a Mustang and maybe 23% of the original sheet metal, everything else "should be" upgraded... electrics, interior, instruments, steering, suspension, brakes, engine (gotta be a stroker w/efi!!!), rims, tires, 2012 Hyundai color painted on it.... what's left of a Mustang?

Weird to me folks want a "Mustang" that's only about 10% FoMoCo Mustang!! Me I like OEM/FoMoCo... fewer and farther between these days... rare, and getting rarer every day.

Enjoy it for what it is.... :smile:

S

slimt

I don't think it is a big deal Stephen.. the bright side is there are a lot of Mustangs out there with the tranny you need.. also.. as for most cars out there... parts do get changed over the years.. for most folks .. changing a part was easier and simpler than rebuilding.. Ill keep my eyes peeled for what you need..

Btw.. you have a Nice looking, Clean GT/CS..